I Forge Iron

First attemp at a rubik twist

SkoobyNewb

Just getting into all of the wonders of blacksmithing. I'm just playing with RR spikes at the moment; as not to waste any good steel on my mistakes. I've made one knife, and someone at my work asked me to make them something. I was excited to make something for someone,  but also terrified for them to see my (lack of) skills I have so far lol. So I decided on going with something that looks much more complicated than it actually is. I know it's justa noob project, but I'm relatively happy with how it turned out. Feel free to let me know what looks wrong, and any advice on it.

20161012_144924.jpg

2 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Looks pretty good to me. Only thing I can think would look a little better it to get the twist to include all of the cut blocks but great first go.

Thank you, I completely agree about including all the blocks in the twist. I was more just trying to line up the point of the spike. I should have given it another 1/4 twist I think. 

Nice job! Don't try twisting tapers it not ease if you've been at it a long time. Start your twist farther back from the spike point and try to line the original head and point back up. To get all the cubes in the twist grab it farther away with the wrench and vise and be prepared to use a torch. The wrench and vise suck heat fast so the stock doesn't twist as much the closer it is.

People will recognize a RR spike immediately, it's what makes them such popular stock for blacksmith projects. People love to be able to see the transition from a familiar object into something new.

Just a little tweaking and you can make this project like you made the twist sprout from a spike by magic. This is attractive enough you might not have to make something useful from it like a coat hook bottle/letter opener, etc.

Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.