I Forge Iron

Would you recommend this anvil?

Hey all! Brand new here and new to blacksmithing as well. I have been making knives using the stock removal method for a while now but I have the itch to start hammering them out. I have a line on a 195lb anvil for $500. It's believed to be late 1800's to early 1900's, unknown maker. The face seems pretty flat in person. It has around 85-90% rebound still on the entire face. Attached are some pictures. I know there's a lot to look for but it seems "ok" for the price... The other option is to buy a 110lb Kanca but I'll need to save more money to get one. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_5906.PNG

IMG_5907.PNG

IMG_5908.PNG

IMG_5909.PNG

I would take a ball bearing or small hammer and check it out.  Looks like the face plate may be coming off at the shelf.  A ball bearing should bounce back most of the way to your hand when dropped.  The hammer should have some bounce and the anvil should have a clear ring.  Any buzzing or dead thuds is a problem.  If it's a live anvil then it's good.  Be careful, let us know how it goes.

Welcome aboard Fochops, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

You'll hear dead spots with a bearing ball as well see it in the rebound. If it checks out it looks like it's pretty darned good for the money. Of course that depends on where you are, in Alaska it'd pull in 2x as much easy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks my friend! I'm working on updating my profile. I'm in Peoria, AZ. Anyway, I think I'm going to pass on it. It rang on all spots hit but kind of a muffled ring. Not sure if it's normal for that anvil or not and $500 is a lot of scratch to be unsure about something. I think I'll save a little more and go with the 110lb Kanca, found one shipped to my doorstep for $709. Or the 100lb TFS for $579 shipped. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

It's not a linear crack it's more like a wave going through the corner. I'm all about it if it's serviceable, I guess either way it's a great starter anvil. The rebound and weight is what's got me semi sold on it. Thank you for your insight btw!

I rather like damaged anvils as most of them the damage has little effect on their usability and a great effect on their price!  My last anvil I bought was a 112 # PW that was missing a bit off one toe. Face and horn was *mint* and just a bit over US$1 a pound here in anvil poor NM!

I'd take this one. It's value won't go down and you can make marketable trinkets to sell, honing your skills and saving for a nicer anvil. Of course by time you've saved enough you may have something else on your wish list or have decided you have what you need.

I've never heard of a Kanca so I wiggled my Google Fu, turns up a number of hits saying it's a forge anvil made in Turkey. I didn't more than skim and didn't see any reviews. More reading is a good idea but I'm not looking for a new anvil so I'll leave that to you. If you read something about it or another you don't understand feel free to ask, we'll be happy to answer your questions even if we have to make something up. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.