I Forge Iron

compression fitting leaks

valthinos

So I've finally got my t burner built and all ready to fire, but when I opened the tank and did my leak check my fittings were leaking. Tore it all apart to find my furl? Fittings were damaged so I cut the pipe and re flared it but same issue. What am I doing wrong with the flaring?

2016-10-10 17.22.11.jpg

These are brass ferrules for copper tubing. A flare would be better for gas fitting. A flare is made with a flaring tool, flaring out the end of tubing. Be sure to place the proper

size flare nut for tubing size. Then the fitting will be a better choice if used on gas line.

I forgot to mention they are compression ferrules used on water pipe in plumbing. Not a good choice for gas.

I didn't buy them at the same place, been gathering parts here and there. Brazzer I don't need them? Just flare the pipe and connect the two halfs? I assumed the ferrules where needed because they were with the fittings when I bought them. Thank you for the help guys.

This is flared copper tubing: Make sure nut is on tubing and don't flare too big or the flare nut won't fit properly. No ferrules used.

flex-start-s.jpg

flex-clamp-s.jpg

flare-finished.jpg

345_Flaring_Tool_72dpi.jpg

6a00e550bbaeb388340120a91115b4970b-800wi.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. Hope the pics help you

This a compression fitting with brass ferrule

compression-brass-male-to-female.jpg

In better than 50 yrs I have never seen any double flares on tubing for gas piping. I have seen them on stainless steel brake lines.

Single flare is what is on gas flex hookups, brass or stainless steel. Never Ever use copper tubing on natural gas unless it is special with a tin lining.

Copper reacts to the chemical in natural gas that gives it its smell, and corrodes copper over time. Natural gas company will tell you that.

Only LP gas can use copper.

Yes in a way. It has been said that the zinc coating in galvanized pipe can flake and plug orifices. Only use black or brass

malleable fittings on gas pipe, and never cast fittings. Malleable fittings have some give or stretch, so to speak, and won't

crack or break easily.

I would not use pex for anything in my opinion. PE with a copper tracer wire is what the gas co uses on a lot of underground services.

I would only use black iron pipe or brass. You can use a stainless steel flex to connect to appliance, ( forge). They come in BTU ratings and various lengths.

I use these to connect all kinds of gas appliances, stoves, water heaters, Gas Boilers, etc. Some flex connectors come in different colors, some even brass.

All are full flow.

03-168-600x600.jpg