I Forge Iron

Why mount anvils on things that bounce?

rebound is a response not only on hardness of face..

If the anvil is mounted so it loose and it's not in perfect contact with the surface it is on (rocking, eneven contact) , or it has oil on the face or rust on the face.

The rebound won't be as good...

While rebound in a perfect environment or in an engineering staged setup might be implemented to good merit while machine forging, you can have a great anvil with a hard face that doesn't have great rebound. 

The rebound effect of lessening strain as to great hammer bounce and such really disappears with soft hot metal..

A persons skill set will have more to do with quality work produced at a given setup than all the rebound in the world and having a poorly mounted anvil with 98% rebound mounted on a springy, mount will make things even worse than a solidly mounted anvil with 50% rebound..

The Peddinghaus is near 98%, A 150lbs fisher is near 90%, It's fun to see what they are.. But from my stand point rebound doesn't hold a lot of stock..

Concrete has tremendous compressive strength but poor shock resistance. The compression waves conducted fro the base of your anvil into the concrete crush it and damp the rebound. It absorbs the energy from the anvil so the anvil loses efficiency returning the blow from beneath. Asphalt pavement on the other hand gives in a way similar to wood. The asphalt is the cement that keeps the aggregate gradation in place which provides a rock solid base. So you have a combination of very hard and just enough give it doesn't damp the anvil's internal rebound. 

Crushed sand particles "Key" and won't shift they compact hard but will have a little give. Mount the anvil on a plate. Aluvial (river) sand is rounded particles and will shift like a bag of marbles. including fines, especially silt and finer will cause sand to compact so hard the anvil will bounce and defeat the purpose. 

My anvils are on steel tripods.

Frosty The Lucky.

The Sand I have in the stand is just white play sand. The anvil is not used as much at all compared to some members here. I am sure if my set up was used by someone who knows what there doing, there might be different results in movement of the anvil etc. 

1 hour ago, Exo313 said:

So JABOD forge and JABOS stand?

Or a BOSS Box Of Sand Stand. These have been discussed many times some with wonderful pictures. Just recently there was a nice photo spread of a sand filled anvil stand that broke down into a bucket or two of sand and a stack of fitted lumber. It was locked in place with a couple wedges. I like them for portability split the sand into a couple buckets or sacks and it's all light enough to put in the trunk of your compact car.

In the past guys have posted pics of their anvil stapled to a round board, standing in a plastic bucket filled with sand. No need to be fancy if it works.

YOUR decision is: "Is it good enough?"

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Isn't that what Clint Eastwood asked in one of his movies?   " well is it punk"?      :) 

You don't think either of us came up with that do you?

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

If it is, GET A NEW LOG!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:!

Gotta blow my nose and wipe off the keyboard, curse you John!

Frosty The Lucky.