I Forge Iron

RR track anvils best thing to use for s base portable ?

Welcome aboard Neal, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

There are so many variations in rail anvils it's just not possible to make meaningful suggestions. A couple pics should give us enough to have opinions worth spit. Include some pics of your shop and equipment, projects, tools, pets, etc. We LOVE pics, anything you'd show a young child you didn't want to have to explain will do nicely.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's just WAY too unstable for an anvil stand it's going to wobble, bounce and the ONLY place it will resist a blow is dead center over the axle. The more I think about it the more I think it's a BAD anvil stand.

Screw and glue some 2" x 8" or 10" lumber into a block and use it on end for your stand. It will be stable and strong. If necessary you can screw a piece of plywood on the bottom for a wide foot. Get it the correct height for you. Knife work likes the anvil closer to wrist height you'll be working closer.

Frosty The Lucky.