I Forge Iron

Coal forge

HoobaJibbs

So I'm working with a coal forge and I use the cowboy hardwood charcoal. Anyone have pro/con input or other advice about coal? I've noticed a lot of scale form while im forging, and as I work the steel, the heat dissipates fairly quick, way faster than most videos I've watched and pages I've read. 

I've been thinking about making a gas forge, should I just go with that? 

I've never used coal, I've used coke at a friends forge and I use my own homemade charcoal in my own forge. it matters not what fuel you use, provided you know how to use it. Pros and Cons: Charcoal is free and plentyfull and I can make more anytime I want, coal, coke and gas are not and I have to source and collect.......

That said, if you are bladesmithing......I should imagine a gas forge offers many attractions and if you decide to make one, or even if you are undecided, there are plenty here to provide some good input and expect they will be along shortly......

If your steel is scaling a lot you are in the oxidizing part of the fire. Usually to deep.  You need fuel on bottom and on top.  If heat leave fast you are not hot enough or your anvil or vise is still cold.  Remember videos are edited.  And you are probably not seeing all the prep time/work.  

3 hours ago, HoobaJibbs said:

I use the cowboy hardwood charcoal

How deep is your fire, the size of the fire ball? For coal it should be about the size of a large melon with more fuel on the top. With charcoal the fire ball needs to be larger. Steel should go into the fire ball about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up. Only use enough air to get the heat you want from the burning fuel.

Yeeeaahhh...not that deep at all. I'll have to grab some fire brick or make some refractory cement to make the melon size.

Now that it's brought to my attention, im setting the steel too deep...probably because my forge isn't that big. (Yay trial and error!!)  

I've read that keeping the steel off the anvil until you "Thor" helps keep it hot longer too. 

Thanks for the replies.