I Forge Iron

I Beam Anvil (further questions)

Hi All,

This is my first post, I know there has been some very heavy discussions on this topic but I was hoping for some advice.

So although I know that the consensus is that I beam does not make a good anvil. Could it with some modification?

If I were to add structural support under the i frame, I did a few tests and this significantly reduced the ringing and added a fair amount of weight. The reason is I am very excited to get blacksmithing I am currently extremely limited on funds and have access to a source of free I beams.

My idea is to weld smaller I beams vertically within the frame to added structual support and to use a sound dampening filling in the gaps (sawdust and oil or expanding foam).

Any feedback would be a great help.

Welcome aboard Zeroclick glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

Actually it's not a consensus about how poor an anvil I beam makes, it's wide spread experience with how crappy they are. On end it makes a decent anvil, vise, etc. stand.

By time you welded enough steel into a piece to make it rigid enough you could've spent less time and money finding and buying something else. Even then the flanges aren't hardenable steel so it'll always be a soft face with little rebound.

Check with truck shops, broken axles mounted flange up make really effective anvils as will most any shaft stock or rr rail. On end gives it a better depth of rebound and will move steel more efficiently. Other pieces of scrap or drops are good, heavy plate on end makes a VERY effective anvil. Heavy steel like train couplers and such.

There are all kinds of good expedient anvils around, I beam and wide flange just aren't on the list.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty,

Thank you for the welcome I have updated my profile now.

I will have to keep an eye out for a heavy plate I maybe need to visit the scrap yard which is never a bad thing.

The only reason I was a bit fixed on the I beam was the free and plentiful supply I have, and as you say once you turn it on it's end it has the rigidity needed.

Thanks,

Zeroclick

Simple answer: NO.

If I were starting out right now, I would definitely be looking at a truck axle, a forklift tine, or an upended piece of railroad track. A Brian Brazeal-style slab anvil would be a serious contender as well. 

Save the I-beam for making stands for things!

Question - do you have access to enough i-beam material that you could scrap enough to scrape up $40-$60?  I walk through the retail showroom at Discount Steel fairly often and they always good size drops of known hardenable steel (O1, 4140, A2, etc..) in dimensions that would work well for an anvil, usually for 60 cents a pound...   A 3"x3" or 4" by 4" section of steel that's a foot or longer that you could harden yourself (search Youtube) would make a wicked post anvil and should be in that price range.

Yuppiejr's suggestion is a great one. Just save enough I-beam to make a heavy tripod stand for your post.

(Folks are probably sick of me sharing this, but I started a thread a while back about the design and construction process of the I-beam stand in my profile pic. See http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/45384-asking-for-design-help-for-an-anvil-stand/)

8 hours ago, Zeroclick said:

I will have to keep an eye out for a heavy plate I maybe need to visit the scrap yard which is never a bad thing

For me, visiting the scrap yard is like Christmas! but I guess you're still perty green...you'll understand someday...;)

Littleblacksmith

Welcome Zeroclick. I too am a novice and a tight Yorkshireman. I'm using a counter ballance weights for anvils, being cast they are not the best for rebound but work well. They originally came from the Newport Bridge across the Tees, a big sledge hammer head would work well. Keep the I beams for stands or other jobs, or for trade......your in a rural area, I'll guarantee some farmer will be on the lookout for decent length of I beam at some point and would rather trade than spend ££££! You never know whats at the back of a farmers barn hidden in his scrap pile!

You're not far from Pickering, any car boot sales there? Also steam fairs, and they have a big one there, often have jumbles attached and attract those that deal in toolling. I was at Stratford Upon Avon racecourse for a show at the weekend and walk out of a carboot sale with a bag of goodies, chisels and hammers etc for next to no ££££'s

Hi Smoggy,

Great screen name I'm originally a smoggy myself, moved down here a few years ago.

I have been keeping my eye out for the local sales and hopefully something good will come up.

I think the steam rally will be a really good spot but have to wait till next August now.

Sounds like you got a good deal at Stratford.

The car boot was in the field by the gate, so just had time for a quick look around before the show I was attending started, every other stand had a box of assorted old tools. I could have bought more but would have had to carry them, some I'll refurbish, others will be reforged into whatever I need, a couple of the cold chisels are big enough to take an eye to make a hot cut top tool, and yes I got a suitable piece for an eye drift too!

Of the hammers, I got a smaller ball pien than the one I already have and a larger cross pien than my current one. Plus a small, very old looking square pien of unknown original use. Unsure of how exactly I'll use it yet.....a clean up and inspection are in order for that one. All in all well happy wiith my little haul.

You may also want to keep an eye open on eblag too as there are a few regular sellers in the Malton area that usually stipulate "collection only" so tend not to make top prices.

What forge are you using and what fuel? I have a home made forge and use charcoal which I usually make myself.

I've made mine a side draught, but could easilly be converted if I wished to use coal or coke. One thing you should do, is let folk know what you are doing and that you are looking for equipment, surprising how many people may think on and happily offer you something for free rather than just binning it!

That sound's cool I did consider a side draught but the materials I had available were ideal for a bottom. I have been talking to a lot of our clients who are in manufacturing and know a lot of local people. That's how I got access to the I beams, I'm hoping once I actually get to start making stuff people will offer more once they see I am using it for a purpose.