I Forge Iron

Anvil & Swage Identification

I just picked up an anvil and swage block on Craigslist and have a few questions (I'm fairly new to forging).  I'm fairly certain the anvil is a Hay Budden as I can see part of the insignia with "manufacturing" and "Brooklyn NY".  We threw it on a commercial scale and it weighs 284 lbs with the stand, so I'm guessing it's a 250 lb anvil.  It's 33 12/" long, horn is 15" and the face is 4" x 18 1/2".  

The swage block is 14" x 20" x 4" and weighs 169 lbs.  I can't find any identifying marks on it.

I'm wondering what the value of each of these is?  I'm just getting into knife making and don't know if I'd ever use the swage block.  I honestly didn't know what a swage block was before today.  I'd like to sell it to help pay for the anvil, but don't know if I'd find uses for it later and regret I sold it. Also, I wouldn't know where to sell it if I wanted to.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.    

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

Nice anvil...don't sell that swage block!  Find other ways to make up for the expenditure.  You will wish you had it the first time you make a hardy tool.  Your anvil is pretty narrow at the waist and not very thick where your hardy is.  I wouldn't feel confident smashing a hot blank into that hardy...then again, I live in constant fear that I will break my anvil.

...either way, ignore my rambling except the part about keeping that swage block.

oh yeah, some curmudgeon is going to fly by and remind you of the value of adding your location because you'd be amazed at how many people I got be close to your on IFI.  Those same people may also cover your swage block if you decide to sell it.

Im sure it is plenty thick for normal use...but when you are hammering away at a price of hot metal trying to fit it into your hardy things can get more serious.  I've only heard tell that it can be threatening to the health of your anvil...but I believe those who've told me.  Either way, it's a really nice big swage block and, if you stick with blacksmithing, I imagine you will regret getting rid of it down the road.

there are others on IFI who have forgotten more about blacksmithing equipment than I've read or learned through experience.  They can tell you more about your anvil...but I feel confident they will also tell you to keep that block.  Unless, of course, if they live near you and would like to help you get rid of it!

That's a xxxxxxx good anvil! Horseshoers pattern. Set the standard for all other horseshoers anvils to try to measure up to for many many years. Is nothing at all that a standard blacksmiths anvil can do that a horseshoers anvil can't do just as good. Whatever you paid for it you got a steal;)

Can't tell you much about the swage block except it's a good one too. Hang on to them both.

George

Craigslist is probably the easiest / cheapest venue for selling and getting the best price on heavy items like this.  If you use eBay there's the complications/cost of shipping something so heavy, the risk of a shady buyer, and the added auction fees plus Paypal fees.

Value is relative, heavy anvils in good condition generally command a premium price per pound but have a smaller number of potential buyers due to the cost... it really depends on what the market allows in your area.   Best bet is to watch Craigslist and keep track of what people list anvils for and how quickly they disappear (presumably sold) to figure out what your local market will allow.  The only negative condition comment I'd have from a valuation standpoint of your anvil is the chisel cuts to the face near the horn.. what a shame to have such a clear abuse of such an otherwise nice tool.

Around here anvils aren't particularly rare but demand is high, "real" market value on anvils that don't languish unsold for months is $4-$5 a pound in good-excellent condition that go on Craigslist or well advertised farm auctions.  "Working man" examples that are not pristine but functionally adequate go for $2-3 a pound.  

Not sure on the swage block, that's a big boy at 169 pounds...  I'm betting it's worth at least $600-800 based on what I see smaller units going for. They don't seem as common as anvils, but if you don't have a practical use for it my thought is you'd fetch a decent price for it to invest in other tools that would be more useful in your knifemaking like a good 2" belt grinder, etc...  

What else do you need to get into knife making?  Seriously, how much more kit? You have a very nice anvil, got a forge and some hammers? You can make the rest of what you need, tongs, punches, chisels a few bottom fullers, etc. Buy some files and sanding blocks etc. and you're set to make knives.

I'd recommend you hold onto the swage block if for nothing else than making tools and holding bottom tools. Oh and it won't depreciate, think of it as money in the bank.

Just my thinking.

Frosty The Lucky.

You will find unlimited uses for that swage block. Right off the bat the smaller round dies are great for welding cable for cable pattern welded knives. Swage blocks and anvils are kind of like motorcycles. Once you own one it's a lot easier to keep than it is to replace. Don't let a good thing slip through your hands, you'll grow into it. And it is a nice one.

As to your question about value, whatever you paid for it is what the market will bear in your area. That anvil in my location would sell for between $3.00 and $4.00 USD per pound right now. Two years ago it would have sold for $1.50 to $2.00 per pound. I see swage blocks that size going for roughly $300.00 but the price and the value are not the same. Whatever you paid, you own them now. The value will be revealed by the lifetime of work you produce with them and if you treat them well they will out live you.

id keep the swage block! I've been wanting one for a while, and cant find one that's reasonably priced, actually I cant even find one. With that being said, I'm sure that you might also, and trust me, right after you get rid of it, you'll find a project that would involve the swage block. Or at least that's how it is with me!

Littleblacksmith

Wow...thank you all for the replies and information. Frosty, I really need to upgrade my forge.  I want to build or purchase a 2 burner propane forge, which is why I am contemplating selling the swage block.  I could get a better forge with what I get for the swage block.  But based on everyone's comments I am going to really consider keeping it.      

Starbits:  The anvil was listed for $250 on Craigslist.  I replied once I saw it, but when I hadn't heard back after almost 24 hours I decided to up the ante and sent another email offering $450.  Based on the sized I figured it would be worth it.  They took my offer.  When I was there I asked if they had any other blacksmith equipment.  They pulled out the swage block...I asked how much...they said how about $20.  LOL  So $470 for both...I think I did good.

I only waited 15 years to find a swage block that size, and I still paid more for it than you did for both items. You could have easily sold it for $700 plus this past weekend at QuadStates, and things are generally cheaper there than elsewhere.

So, yeah, you could call that a deal. (Goes to pound head against nearest wall.)