I Forge Iron

Fisher anvil age? and cleaning

Rayman1975

I bough this anvil from a guy for 25 bucks. I weighed it and it is 167 pounds. I can't see any markings on it. It needs a edge fixed and is real pitted. From the research that I have done it think it is older then 1880, is that correct? And should I take a sanding disk and clean up the anvil or just run it through my electrolysis tank. Any info on this cool anvil would be much appreciated.  It's my first one. 

20160914_085638.jpg

20160914_085546.jpg

20160914_085438.jpg

20160912_152429.jpg

20160914_085647.jpg

Is that line under the logo a crack?

Sandpaper is a bit of a dirty word with most anvils.  Do no harm:  There is nothing that needs to be sanded and that edge you mentioned doesn't need repair at all.  There is still enough good edge that if you need a sharper corner, you can use the better parts of the existing edge.  If that's not good enough for you, you can make a flat hardy tool with a sharper edge to use.

Brush clean..nothing more needed.  If you really want to hassle with it I suppose you could put it in your electrolysis tank but it's not necessary.  The top surface will self-clean with use so don't monkey with it except to use it.

12 minutes ago, Kozzy said:

Sandpaper is a bit of a dirty word with most anvils.  Do no harm:  There is nothing that needs to be sanded and that edge you mentioned doesn't need repair at all.  There is still enough good edge that if you need a sharper corner, you can use the better parts of the existing edge.  If that's not good enough for you, you can make a flat hardy tool with a sharper edge to use.

Brush clean..nothing more needed.  If you really want to hassle with it I suppose you could put it in your electrolysis tank but it's not necessary.  The top surface will self-clean with use so don't monkey with it except to use it.

No it isn't a crack from what I can tell, just the way it weathered or a casting line.( I think) I have some die penetrate somewhere and will check it. Forgot to mention that the top isn't very flat. Some high and low spots.I'm guessing don't worry about having a machine shop take some off?

12 minutes ago, Kozzy said:

No, absolutely do not machine the surface!  (others will eventually chime in on this).  That surface is no where near worn enough to worry about.  In fact, many here consider a little swayback to be a beneficial feature and not a defect.  It allows you to better straighten parts when forging.  

You got a screamin deal on a decent anvil--anything more than cleaning that you do to it takes it backwards, not forwards in this case.  

23 minutes ago, Rayman1975@hotmail.com said:

...  Some high and low spots.I'm guessing don't worry about having a machine shop take some off?

Please.Do.Not.Machine.The.Face.  You should buy a lottery ticket.

Add your location to your profile under user/settings.  There might be a few members around that would like to see a 15 cents/lb anvil

Just.... wow

Your anvil was cast in the 1870's.  

Do not machine anything.

Use a wire wheel cup brush to clean off the rust.  Then spray it with a light oil.

If you need a better edge, make a saddle to drop on the anvil and use that.  Or turn the anvil with the horn to the right, and use the good edge.

The line might or might not be a crack.  Die penetrant is a good idea, just to know.  I doubt that it will affect the anvil use.  If it is a crack, it has been there a long time.

Any other questions?

3 hours ago, Kozzy said:

No it isn't a crack from what I can tell, just the way it weathered or a casting line.( I think) I have some die penetrate somewhere and will check it. Forgot to mention that the top isn't very flat. Some high and low spots.I'm guessing don't worry about having a machine shop take some off?

1 hour ago, njanvilman said:

Your anvil was cast in the 1870's.  

Do not machine anything.

Use a wire wheel cup brush to clean off the rust.  Then spray it with a light oil.

If you need a better edge, make a saddle to drop on the anvil and use that.  Or turn the anvil with the horn to the right, and use the good edge.

The line might or might not be a crack.  Die penetrant is a good idea, just to know.  I doubt that it will affect the anvil use.  If it is a crack, it has been there a long time.

Any other questions?

No I don't think so, I'll clean it carefully and weld up a nice stand for it and place it in the shop. Thanks guys for all the info, glad I didn't do something crazy to ruin it. It will now be well cared for inside. :)