I Forge Iron

First project

Alright, so the forge should likely be completed next weekend!  I picked up the last bit of angle iron and other bits and will get some more welding done.

So I found some 3' pieces of 1/2 round stock and picked up a 5' piece of 5/8 round stock.

Now I have some coal, tools, forge, anvil, and metal...

What to make first?

I am thinking the first will be a metal rod to manage the fire?  24" handle with a 6" flat piece 90 degree to the handle to make managing the fire easier and pushing/scooping the coals around?

After that I am thinking some simple hooks, and maybe a plant hanger later on???

Any suggestions?

Good Morning,

Learn how to manage your fire and your configuration first. Get used to making little things, many little things. Doing this will enhance your Hammer and Forge control. You will start making one thing and something will happen, you will make something else!! This is normal, Learn from what you see. Get a copy of 'the Blacksmithing Primer' or one similar. Learn slow, pay attention to what your material is telling you, you will learn many more procedures staying with a positive attitude. If you set your focus on making one specific thing and something else appears, don't allow yourself to become negative.

Enjoy the Journey.

Neil