I Forge Iron

Identify Anvil, Post vise trade option.

Well I was offered this anvil for one of my post vises...they said its around 200lbs...but I have yet to check it out...first wanted to get a idea of type of Anvil it is, quality....so here is a pic of it...I don't want to waste gas going to check it out just yet. 

Anyone have any ideas...they said they cant see any marks..

thumbnail_20160826_091948.jpg

thumbnail_20160826_092007.jpg

thumbnail_20160826_092017.jpg

thumbnail_20160826_092026.jpg

Is not a pritchel hole but a "heel hooking" hole. These things along with turning cams are common amongst cold shoeing cowboys who never learn how to use an anvil's horn properly. On this anvil it was added later on by some ham fisted individual but many low quality contemporary anvils and ASO's have this undesirable feature.

Pass it by it's another mutilated abortion.

George

i called him and passed on it. I think he seen "Sucker" on my digital forehead...but I've learned to be a bit more skittish and to ask around before buying lately....

Turns out he is a welder (has his own business)...so not sure if he put that plate on himself...but he mentioned he had other anvils Peterwright and Trenton he wanted alot more for....so made me even more weary since he feels he "knows" a good anvil yet he was so optimistic in trading this one away...

I sold a guy one of my post vise's today instead( $175). Cash is King anyways...

I wish we had a post vise behind every stump in my area!  I had to look for quite a long time for the one I own....and I had to cough up $150 for that one (90 lb. Columbian). I lucked out on the Wilkinson anvil I scrap-yard gleaned for 30 cents a pound, so I'm spoilt as far as anvils go.....but I sure wouldn't have taken that fellow up on his offer of a trade!!