I Forge Iron

pics of recent knives need pricing advice

dodo knives

Hey guys...so I am just getting into selling some knives I have sold a couple locally by word of mouth but I think you can only do that so much so I think I am going to make a page and start selling online. but I need some help on pricing so I figured I would ask here attached is 2 pictures of recent knives the pink was a special request. the red and black iam thinking about making a few of the same profile but different handle material maybe different finish maybe different grind line that sorta thing both are 440c stainless heat treated and cryo'ed in liquid nitrogen. one obviously is black and red kirinite the other is pink pearl acrlester. one has satin finish the other is polished both will come with a kydex sheath and a clicp either tecklock style or a utily clip. besides the pricing I would also appreciate any tips on how to advertise or get the word out once I make a page and get it up.....any advice or thoughts on my knives would also be appreciated if need be ill put up a few more pics of other knives tomorrow I just didn't want to flood the post with pics right away THANKS every one....by the way my name is dave

P1000086.JPG

P1000103.JPG

Dave, First amazing!!  Second you can't flood it with pics we love picks!! Third word of mouth is the best advertising you can get!!

and allows you to be more of an artist than production shop.  But I think there is a time for both.  My buddy does amazing with his leatherwork on the web.  Has a great web page there are a lot of sight you can get free bases like Wordpress.  He also does a lot on Instagram.  The only thing I can tell you about pricing is don't under price your self.  My cousin is a painter and when he started out he was to cheap at $500 for a 36"x36" painting after his first month or two of not selling much one of the greats in the area came up to him and asked how it was going.  They started talking and the great asked why do you think you are not selling?? My cousin  could not come up with an answer so the great told him it is because you are two cheap!! You need to raise your prices.  My cousin looked at him like he was crazy.  The great told him you are in an art style that people are expecting to pay more and pay more for quality.  If you are to low they will walk away.  My cousin raised his prices the next show to $1500 for the same 36"x36" and has sold out almost every show sense.  No you are not painting but it works in any market.  You just have to know your market, what are the prices for similar knives in your area, (if you are going to the web what are prices for similar knifes there?) do your homework and don't be afraid to price higher than you think.  You can always come down.  Know how to market as custom not mass produced.  Use the word of mouth and repeat clients as a form of reference for your work and

quality.  On your web page put up a quote or two from them or this is where Instagram can help for thoughts on your work.  

Hope this helps some.  It has helped me.

Matto....thanks for the comments and advice...ill get more pic up soon I just got a new camera and made a light box soo I am still figuring out how to get the best pics...I would have been very surprised if I was your cousin to but it does make sense....maybe I was thinking to high tho I don't know I need to do more research. I had some one on another forum say I should price the one with red an black kirinite for $90...that will not work by the time I pay for the steel, handle material, belts, sand paper, liquid nitrogen for the heat treat all that I would just break even and that's no profit for my time so that will not work. I think I am going to make a few "models" and also take some custom orders online...accepting a custom order will depend on price and time obviously if I am in the middle of a batch of some of the models I will make it will take longer for the custom order to get done...I think the business side of this is going to take a lot of research and trial and error to make myself and the customer happy....that being said what do you think about the red and black one becoming one of those models I will make...looking at a pic like a customer would is it appealing??? thanks again

You should always make more on custom.  It is hard to get all the supplies figured per item.  When you are just starting out braking even is amazing.  Most good business people all state a new business if done write will not see profit or good profit for 3-5 years.  Try to start pricing on material cost as in the steel and the main handle material and the labor to make and design.  Then add a percent markup last add in a shop fee for all the other stuff. 

thanks guys yeh it doesn't take long to make and 200 is ok I can pay for supplies and still put a decent chuck in my pocket that may work.....the next batch I do ( I will profile and HT 10blades at a time then finish them and start again) but on the next run I am going to write everything down materials and time so I know exactly what goes in and what comes out. I wont do that everytime but at least once to get a good idea

Biggundoctor is giving an example of two things; the going rate , and opportunity cost.  Neither one on their own can tell you if you'll make a profit or not.  If you can't make a knife for less than the going rate, you won't make money.

It's incredibly difficult to match the prices of an established company that's built it's operation to be profitable at a low consumer price.  Cheap cars come from huge factories for a reason.

We often talk about price as though it's the same thing as value, but it's really not.  As Matto pointed out, people sometimes value things more when they cost more.  People also value things more when they are emotionally connected to the product, process, or the company.

Pricing is super hard. I have just started myself and am looking to make enough per knife to pay for the next one while making a small profit. But it's hard. Most people want a custom knife for the price of a walmart knife. Custom made and handmade just doesn't mean as much as it used to anymore. Even when they point out Topps knives or EESE. They don't realize they are cut out on plasma tables and made by the hundreds. Not one at a time. If you price to low, it's a heck of a time trying to ask for more. If to high, people walk away.