I Forge Iron

blacksmithing do's and don't's

On 8/4/2016 at 10:16 AM, ThomasPowers said:

My great grandfather was a "traditional" smith in a small Arkansas hill town died in his 50's and so I never met him.  Me I'm willing to try for my 3 score years and 10 and not spend the last part of it sitting around doing nothing cause I was stupid when I was younger.  (Well I was; but lucked out enough to make it past those years with only a few scars and a lot of stories!)

I'm at three score and fifteen now, so it's all gravy! 

Embarking on a new hobby at any age is a good way to stay young.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My goal is to not find myself agitated by all of the varied points of view in this thread. Here I defend not the content of the various points of view, but the INTENT of those posting:  Each from his/her own unique background.

At my job, my behavior is annoyingly pedantic, and those who are courageous enough or foolish enough to take exception, will be exposed to my irritable invitation to prove me to be in error.

Prove me wrong and my humility is further honed.

I took up Smithing to free myself from the criticality of my trade. So here is my poem :

Home, Hearth, Forge, Smithy

Presently, the Forge Hearth is by far the least-used of all of my equipment.

But it is the fiery beating heart of my passions, and all of my work is designed to support that heart(h).

Don't yet own the domain name, but Xxxxxxx Forge will never be at the top of the web search, because thousands WANNABE what We Are.

I call it the Forge.

Robert Taylor

Heh heh heh. I have an old and dear friend who is an annoying pedant and can go on for a long long time explaining why a pun isn't correct use of a word or term. No, you can't even explain a pun to him, he's brought parties to a halt. Like I said he's a great guy, known him for pushing 40 years now, smart as can be and well educated, just can't carry a punch line in a dictionary and the best response you're likely to get with a pun is a blank stare.

If I didn't like Gary so much it'd just be too much fun messing with him. Annoying annoying pedants can be a fine party game, especially if the group is a little lubricated. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.