I Forge Iron

Still Scratching My Head....Anvil ID

I cannot find anything on this old anvil and I'd like to ask some of the fellas & ladies on here if they

can help. All I can find after wire brushing and flour coating it is the numbers 11 and 22 under the base. It's a good anvil,

great ring and rebound. Any help would be appreciated.

DSCN0643.JPG

DSCN0639.JPG

DSCN0641.JPG

Trouble is that "ring" is very subjective. To me a steel anvil would have a high pitched piercing and prolonged ring like a bell whereas a forged wrought anvil would still be prolonged but perhaps not so piercing in many cases. 

An unmounted Fisher will still "ring" a certain amount, they aren't completely dead when struck. 

Andy

Thr ring can occasionally be a useful indication. A cast steel anvil will have a clear ring if it has not been subject to a fire. A silent cast steel anvil should be looked upn with suspicion. A double horn anvil is more silent than a London pattern - until you hit one of the horns. I agree that it is subjective but we do not always have suitable bearing balls in the pocket.