I Forge Iron

BIG BLU air hammer!!

Well I finally made the leap from a mechanical hammer to a pnumatic unit. My new Big Blu 155# came in on Friday morning, and after 3 days of rearanging stuff I managed to get it installed. Man what a difference!!! EXELENT controll coupled with TONS of power! Im really looking forward to exploring the limits of my new equipment. Looks like I have a whole lot of work ahead of me!!

4970.attach

4971.attach

I also have a ka 75 and a 110# treadle hammer..... Yeah.. I'm addicted to power hamers...we need to start a support group or something...

AND A ROLLING MILL!!!!!!!! YOU BEST WATCH YOUR BACK!!!!!!!!!

HAHA seriously, great shop you look well equipped(understatement of the century), thanks for the photos(JERK;)).

Thomas, I'll let you know as soon as I get some more details on the hammer.

ApprenticeMan.........Thanks! The roling mill was a gift from a friend. It has turned out to be a really neat tool for making perfectly flat billets and drawing material out verry quickly. you can easily double or tripple the lenth of a piece in one heat with no noticable change in width.

I know that the tools don't make the blacksmith makes the tools, but good tools make it easier for the smith to produce more and better tools.... it's a vicious circle...

• 5 weeks later...

The more that I get to run the air hammer the more I agree with you Fred. It's a hard hitter with great controll. I've been having tons of fun knocking down everything from 3.5" billits to giant leaves from 1" square solid. It's allso been a blast making new tooling to go allong with it. As for the KA-75, Chris, I thought that after I got the Big Blu that I would phase out the "little" KA-75, but thats just not going to happen. I LOVE that little air hammer. The KA acts like a pnumaitc treadle hammer, delivering 1 blow every time that you depress the treadle. This is great anywhere that you would normally wish that you had a striker, like punching holes, hot cutting, flatting, or anywhere else that you can use 1 well placed super hard blow. It to has exelent controll, dosen't take up much room at all, and with a little practice will move metal FAST!! That little KA has earned a special place in my heart and would definitly add to the capabilities of any shop. And rthibeau... I am starting to wonder if there is such a thing as having too many power hammers... if so I think I'm getting there quick..... So about that 50# LG you have for sale.....

Thanks Ted! It has taken me 17 years of metal working to finally get a roof over my tools. I just finished putting the building up last march so I definitly don't take the shop for granted! I sure appreciate everyone noticing the years of thought, planning, and tool acquisition that go into setting up a functional shop; and the excitment that everyone has shared with me in the setup of my new hammer! As always Ted, safety first!

Thanks Finn! I can't even imagine life without a belt grinder anymore.It's taken me a long time to put all of this stuff together, and I am definitly spoiled rotten now. But no matter how many tools you have you allways need more! So I will keep working in order to support my tool habit so that I will have better tools to work with.... It's a vicious circle I tell you... good thing I enjoy it..I think.