I Forge Iron

Renting space for your blacksmith business

If you are trying to make money smithing in a rental, the type of rental might affect the type of work you choose. I chose not to take a chance on a 3 month railing job with a month by month rent situation. When I confronted this, I limited my commissions to only those I could finish within a month. This applies to my Commissions only, not spec work.

Anvil, in my situation, after moving all my tons of stuff halfway across the country, I would never set up in a rental.  Actually, I'm still moving it out of storage.  I never want to move it again....;)  I am looking around for a dirt cheap building/structure to buy, or else build a new shop where I live.  Kind of went off rails with the "renting" part.  Also, I'm not in a position to go at it full time.  I did that years ago with a tree nursery/market garden business and a full time job at the same time and it about did me in.  That whole shop/gift shop idea is for the most part a pipe dream, but you never know what lies down the road.  :)

Moving is the deal. Once is too much. I spent 30 years in my first shop, then became a Roady blacksmith for the last 10. made 5 or so moves. Lol, broke down willys pu, no trailer and 10,000# of stuff!   Im on my own ground now and put up a cheap metal building. 2" sq tubing and pro panel. Im doing a front and back facade out of old barn timbers and my iron. I've been a working smith all my life, guess I'll just keep on and see what happens next. No more moves for me.

• 2 weeks later...

If I ever had a fire it would be a conflageration.  After garage sales, face book giveaways and donations before moving, we still have to much stuff.  It's not from buying new stuff or wanting this or that, it's from upcycling, repurposing, saving every screw, bolt and spring I ever came across.  We aren't hoarders but durned near.  But you know what?  I don't have to run to Ace Hardware three times a day.  :)

• 1 month later...