I Forge Iron

Tactical tomahawk

Hey guys, I have a customer asking for a custom tactical hatchet/tomahawk. What he's looking for is the solid, 3/8" thick hatchet with a polymer style handle. Problem is, I dont know where to get polymer handles let alone know if they even make them for sale. He's interested in the likes of the SOG style tactical hatchet/tomahawk. Does anybody know if there is a company out there that sells polymer replacement handles? Thanks!

Just so we are on the same boat, you do know that polymer is the more scientific term for plastics?

There are a lot of trade names out there. Plexiglas is acrylic, Lexan is polycarbonate, etc..

Look for tough impact resistant plastics. 

Kydex that is used for holsters is easily moldable and tough. It could also be laminated for a different look.

There are also two main types of plastics. Thermosetting, and thermoplastic. Thermoplastics can be reshaped with heat, and do not deform like molded thermosettings do. Thermoplastics are also weldable, whereas the thermosets need to be glued.  LDPE ( low density polyethylene), the plastic that 5 gallon buckets are made of cannot be glued, but welds nicely.

I'd suggest running micarta past the customer.   It's highly durable, impervious to water, heat resistant for any "normal" conditions, has a variety of patterns and colors to choose from, and you can shape it similar to how you would work with wood.  I'm not sure how planing would work on it, but as for sawing, sanding, routing and those types of operations wood working tools handle the material fine in my experience.  As a bonus you can make it yourself fairly easily.

Thanks for all opinions guys. It helps a bunch. I'm thinking micarta is the way to go. I think the plastics, though easier and cheaper will be more fragile. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted as to what I end up doing.

I know of few use cases for blade handles where micarta will not suffice.  Some people also like corian (and knifemakers grab scraps from countertops to use); but I consider canvas micarta to be one of the best choices for tough usage blades.  (I do like corian for kitchen knives though---especially nice if you can match the counters in the kitchen!) 

I spent a lot of time looking at materials for a synthetic handle for use in tactical tomahawk handles before a customer's request for a full-tang 'hawk shifted the whole direction of the project for me.

I would *not* use Micarta by itself.  It may make a good knife handle when backed up by a steel tang, but it is easily broken without that backing. 

My two recommendations would be nylon 6/6, which is what is used on the American Tomahawk Company's LaGana 'hawks, and ABS.  I did a lot of testing on a nylon handle I made and it did great except for breaking at the end of a crack caused by me not sawing the spilt far enough down before wedging it in the head.  That was at the end of a long series of destructive testing, and I feel like if it had not had that crack, it would have been fine.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-plastic/=1368qum

ABS is what I build my tomahawk trainers from, and it has shown itself to be darn tough.  I haven't done a side by side comparison of the two materials.  If it's going into a war zone, I would definitely do some extensive testing before trusting a soldier's life with it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#abs/=1368uja

Neither material likes to be ground, though you can do some cleanup by going against the direction of belt travel.  You should be able to machine it or shape it with a router, though.

Good point.  I was visualizing using scales on both sides of a full tang hawk.  I would not use micarta by itself in a partial tang type of handle. 

Brian923, Stormcrow has far more experience in this area than I do, so I'd give his recommendations serious consideration.

The American Tomahawk Company 'hawks use injection molded nylon 6/6.  I bought one when I was starting on the tactical 'hawk journey and beat the crap out of it.  The handle held up to everything.  Both it and the one I made that broke at the crack felt a lot like hickory when chopping, but if the blade got stuck in wood, would flex a great deal more.  ATC has video of the handle being propped up on a curb and then driven on with a pickup, flexing back to true.

So it is very tough, but if you are wanting a design you are going to pry with, it probably will flex more than you want.  But if you are wanting a punched-eye construction ax going into a war zone, it's probably what I would go with.