I Forge Iron

How true is this? Brake drum forge

natenaaron

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

the largest was 24 inches in diameter and maybe 16-18 inches deep.

what did you make with that forge??

Littleblacksmith

It was a modification of the 55 Forge to burn raw wood to form charcoal and then use the charcoal to forge with, all in one process. Worked well but the radiant heat was tremendous.  Ended up adding a row (circle) of house bricks to narrow the fire to where it wanted to be naturally for the air being used.

15 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

There are a handful of posts concerning side blast forges, If I remember right Everthing Mac's side blast post has some of the best information, including an exert from an old manual concerning tuyere size and fire depth that Glenn posted and an illustration of a side blast cut away from the side posted by another member. I know I have described setting up a side blast for charcoal more than once, as they are a bit selective as to best set up. 

Thanks Charles.  This explains why I could not find information.  I was not searching side blast forge.

I appreciate you taking to time to explain.

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2016 at 4:38 PM, Frosty said:

Wow, this is a LOT of hullabaloo about a "Beautifuliron" article. The site features some really nice iron work for sale and almost every "article" I've read on the site, usually because I was referred to it by someone wanting my opinion. has been marketing puffery. Of course a method THEY don't use is inferior who can question that? Do you think he could've picked a worse example of a brake drum forge to illustrate his points? Hmmmmm? Deep narrow drum, No table, narrow spindly legs, too low, screw on pipe cap for an ash dump, I didn't look at the air grate but I bet it's as poor a functioning one as he could imagine. Betcha it wouldn't take me 20 minutes to figure it out, get it cooking and start doing good work in it. This is a perfect example of why I disregard Beautifuliron references almost out of hand.

Bottom blast, side blast, hill forge, chimney draw blast (don't know what to call that one) don't really matter. Wait! I forgot induction and all the rest. It's NOT the forge that does the work anymore than the hammer. With a little time and the right kind (safe in a hot fire) rocks I can make a stone fireplace you can cook dinner on while the V shaped back draws the smoke up and out of your eyes and do serious heating near the middle. No fire pot, no table, no blower, no blow pipe, no special fuels, heck not even a hole.

If you blow air THROUGH a fire it WILL get HOT regardless of the fuel or container. Some are easy, some better suited to conditions but if you know what you're doing it doesn't really matter. Sure a tool suited to a specific job in the hands of someone with high skills will yield better results but someone well skilled can use a rock, a hammer stone and camel dung with a mud tuyere and critter stomach or shopping bag bellows and produce high quality.

Frankly that's where I'd like to drop Mr. opinionated from Beautifuliron, a 3rd. world mudhole or scorched desert plain where he got to eat depending on who was willing to swap food for his work. I'd just love to see him take a double handful of scrap metal a piece of a fender some who knows what bar, maybe a couple broken bolts, etc. and make a working bush knife that will survive hacking brush, choppinng wood, butcher an antelope, slice bread and maybe defend against brigands or a lion.

Actions talk, BS walks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well frosty thank you.  This right here convinced me that ive joined the correct site. I am too far away from anyone willing or able to teach without going to dallas or crossing into Arkansas... Not going to happen. I built a semi drum forge with " help" from a welder who put the tuyere against the sidewall. Lesson learned. Im temporarily making a mud tuyere to bring my fireball to the center and cutting down the sidewalls to work larger stock. 

6 hours ago, Lonewolf79 said:

Well frosty thank you.  This right here convinced me that ive joined the correct site. I am too far away from anyone willing or able to teach without going to dallas or crossing into Arkansas... Not going to happen. I built a semi drum forge with " help" from a welder who put the tuyere against the sidewall. Lesson learned. Im temporarily making a mud tuyere to bring my fireball to the center and cutting down the sidewalls to work larger stock. 

Best BS forum there is! blacksmithing that is of course!;)

Littleblacksmith

Welcome aboard Lonewolf, glad to have you. Boy, I was sure going that day wasn't I? I stand by it all. Just recently I got going even better regarding a Video clip a young man posted as proof you can make a good knife from a RR spike, that video was outright dishonest on all levels. Ticked me right off.

Don't let Littleblacksmith fool you, we do both kinds of BS. It's good to shoot bulls with friends.

Yeah, Semi drums aren't good for much but stopping semis and ground anchors. Have you checked out the brake rotor fire pots? A rotor makes a much better fire pot. If you want or need to burn charcoal check out a side blast like Charles Stevens talks about. They work a treat.

I'm a propane forge guy, good coal is unavailable here unless I wanted to locate a seam of good coal in a mine with some 40 exposed seams in each of 6 main pits. I'm too old, lazy and fat to take samples pack them home and test them.

Don't despair there are blacksmiths and organizations not too far from you, someone will speak up soon.

Have you checked out the archived posts on Iforge? They're organized by subject, tens of thousands and just full of good info, discussions etc. Well, mostly good info, we do some myth busting too. ;)

Tell us about yourself some, what you want to make and such. Pics of your tools equipment, pets, view, etc. will be appreciated, we LOVE pics. Almost anything so long as it's fit to show young children it's a family site.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lovely stuff to look at on beautifuliron, but a lot of opinion as well. I found the dismissal of the brake drum forge on that site to be a bit of a nudge 'oh yeah, well lets just see about that!'.  My brake drum went from spindly legs to a converted plant stand (that now holds my gas forge) to a metal rolling cart that has since been passed along to a budding smith at an iron in the hat. 

On the other hand, I really liked the forge chimney section of beautiful iron.