I Forge Iron

broken anvil ?

hello all .  im from eastern pa and directed to this website from a engine collector in nj who said possibly someone here can help identify an old broken anvil that was in my family for many yrs .  i always myself wanted to figure out what the maker and date of mfg would have been . in my travels over the yrs i never came across a similar anvil . here are a couple pics i have to share . pic 4 shows some lettering on its side . possibly someone can help identify , thank you

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4292.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

Coachsmith's anvil, a not uncommon pattern in the trade back when horses were the primary means of transportation. There were many English makers of these, most not well marked. Gently cleaning the sides with a stiff hand brush with soap and water, then rubbing with chalk may reveal some more markings. Even pictures of the bottom and under the horn may help. Mouseholes tend to have a sharp crease like the prow of a ship.

anvil ad Mousehole Forge.jpg

so what was that thing sticking of the side for???

Littleblacksmith

You've got more letters there. English wrought iron anvil, whatever the brand. Hit it with a wire brush or a non-knotted wire brush and try tilting it a bit and rubbing flour or baby powder onto the sides. William Fosters were one of the most common imports and are well known for having breaks at the welds on the heels or horns, but it is by no means exclusive to that brand.

john, i think ya nailed it by looking at that diagram, is that diagram dated 1906?         nobody, i can make out the last 3 letters "ELD"  as in Sheffield?     i will spend a little more time to look for more identity on the anvil .   will try the flour .     i guess this is not an anvil from the 1800's ?   again thank you members.

33 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

so what was that thing sticking of the side for???

Littleblacksmith

I have seen them used when punching the eye of an axe blank billet(the part that makes up the bit rests on the shelf and the material to be punched is still resting on the anvil face),but seems like a darned handy thing to have for supporting work with offsets and whatever else a smith could run into.

making clips---and anything else the smith could use it for.     1906 is probably getting pretty late for that type of anvil as the use of wagons started to decline; especially hand built ones over factory built ones.  I'd not be shy of saying it was probably made between 1850 and 1900