I Forge Iron

DIY 2x72 grinder

I've been working on my own grinder for a week or so now, following Dan Comeau's BG272 plans. If I would of had more time with a CNC mill I would of built a KMG clone, but ohh well. 

I have one question. Due to my budget, I had to get the only used motor I could find locally. A 3HP US Motors. The only downside is that the shaft is 1-1/8" and no one sells a drive wheel with that bore. 

Unfortunately I do not have the stock to turn a wheel this size on the lathe. Any recommendations on how to get a drive wheel fitted on the 1-1/8" shaft? Thank you. 

Here's some progress. 

IMAG0567.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

3 hours ago, Bud in PA said:

Can you bore the wheel to 1 1/8 inches? If you have a lathe make an adapter 1 1/8" to whatever size the bore of the wheel is.

I can bore it, but my only access to machine tools is at my college and this is my last week until graduation. I do have a job lined up, but it might not be a good idea asking to use a lathe or a mill when I'm just starting out there. I think that since I haven't bought wheels yet, my best bet is to make some sort of adapter this week while I can. Thanks for the tip.

Most likely something like this, but with a keyed shaft. 

mV08VjNVYIsFcGed7ertF7A.jpg