I Forge Iron

thermal arts gas forges

tughill

Just from a look through their web site:

It is stretching a point to call them forges at all; they are more closely related to brazing stations. Also, their burners, would do a better job at braze work than for general heating. I like the ceramic floors, but wants again, these would also serve better for brazing work, than as part of a forge. Shall we agree to just call them brazing stations--not forges? Of course, the builders can call them whatever they like...but that don't make it so.

You seem to have missed the more typical "bladesmith" models and only looked at the "access" models. The site claims to reach welding temperatures even on the "access" models. I suspect that these have been tested to do exactly that. And, the site notes that the "access" models are for special purposes like sculpture and armor. On the other hand, the "bladesmith" models feature ceramic fiber insulation in addition to the ceramic floor / hearth. Obviously, the enclosed models will use less fuel to maintain heat.

I can't answer the OP's question, tho, as I don't have any direct experience.

I took a look through their site and have to say you can CLAIM anything you'd like. I saw a lot of rather meaningless hype for instance the claim to use a "Turret" lathe. Ooh a TURRET LATHE! <gasp> Same for vibratory compaction of the castable refractory. I suppose if you don't know how they work "Turret" lathe sounds impressive. I'm also unsure why they'd even mention using 1/4" plate in a forge that small. Impressive or wasteful?

Did I miss the video of one of their forges, ANY one of their forges in operation? Saw the one of the burner working outside a forge.

I see claims but not one bit of substantiation, how about one pic of a 1" sq. billet at welding temp?

I suppose if you don't have the shop skills to make a home build burner $95.00 for one of those might get you forging but. . .

Nice website design though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Right you are, I didn't go through the whole site. 7:30 and the only part of the forge to yellow heat is directly under the burner, he's pulling shoes and they're hot only under the burner. The pass through door is uninsulated and the huge opening is a huge cooling port. That thing is a better room heater than forge, I could work faster and cheaper with my rose bud torch.

I have several machine centers, they go in the tail stock. Oh and I have both post and turret tool holders for mine and know what angles to sharpen the bits.

Frosty The Lucky.

Eric,

Actually, I did look at the the smaller forges too; one of them is just a smaller version of a brazing station, and the other one (which is a little more enclosed) is a mere copy of an old farrier  forge design that predated modern ceramic insulation materials; it made since before the space age spin offs put those materials on the market. At least two guys here on this group completely changed over this same old forge design to update them with modern materials.

I was dismissive enough the first time around not to watch the videos; there were no surprises there.  The farrier forge was slow and could barely be called to reach welding temperature.

The burners were mediocre performers, and there is a huge flaw in their design. It would take a long time to show up in this very open medium temperature equipment, but would have any builders of modern properly insulated heating equipment hopping mad in a few months; the flame nozzle is built  into the burner body; when it wheres out, what them? In properly insulated equipment it would take about six months to where away even a stainless steel nozzle into an unworkable condition. On every other burner I've ever seen any flame nozzles can be replace...but not on this one.

I wasn't being mean in the first post; exasperated, yes. But calling them good for brazing work was putting a positive spin on it.