I Forge Iron

T burner fail

Angus71

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think I built this to the plans Frosty posted but I can't get it to light.  I started with my regulator at 6 psi and barely cracked the ball valve and it would light for a second and then pull the flame into the tube. When I open the ball valve more it goes out.  I got it to hold about a 1 inch flame outside of the tube with my regulator turned all the way down and the ball valve barely cracked but it is not stable and I can't turn it up without it going out. I can post pics of the flame if needed.

20160513_193443.jpg

20160513_193518.jpg

20160513_193445.jpg

Edited by Angus71
Misspelled words

I am sure frosty will pop in here but I had the same problem until I took some length off the tip  make sure you get the bur out.  With as long as it is you aren't getting a good fuel air mix.  at least that is how I understand it. Somewhere frosty has a length mentioned but I just took off a little at a time until it ran right.

You might try a flare on the end too  mine will not stay lit outside the forge unless I put the flare on.

Frosty's burners don't like to light unless they're in a forge, or pointed towards an enclosure of fire bricks. A flare is usually not used on his burners either (I happen to have one and it works well, but most people don't). Try that first and see if it works!

Welcome aboard Angus, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many if the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. Heck you might be coming to our meeting tomorrow and neither of us would know the other is there! :o

Put it in the forge to tune it. I never did see a point in tuning a device to work where you aren't going to use it. If you're going to make a torch with one then there are some mods to the basic design you need to make.

I don't put a flare on mine I use a thread protector.

You're going to need to trim the mig tip down unless you're running a way small one.

Next post post the general specs, tube dia x length. and Mig tip size. being the most telling at this point. The mig tip looks nicely centered and straight it should just be a matter of a little tweaking to get it roaring.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the reply!  I'll mount it in the forge today and see what happens. As far as the specs it's a 3/4" burner tube 6" long using a .035 might tip. To center the orifice, I screwed the tube into the tee and chucked it into a small metal lathe I have to drill and tap it.

• 4 years later...