I Forge Iron

Fly Press Again

brian

Can ye learned gentlemen (or ladies) tell me how far the shaft would travel vertically on a fly press at one revolution of the screw.
Know there are all sizes so not a huge industrial press just a one man press used for general blacksmithing.:confused:

I know nothing about them but.. Wouldn't it matter on the tpi (threads per inch) of the screw? The more travel per rotation (courser the threads = smaller tpi) the less force you will get as opposed to a press with finer threads (less travel per rotation)

If you look at pictures.. the distance of press travel on a rotation will be the distance from one thread to the next.. I'l say from center of the thread to the next. You can look at pics and get a relative idea from that.

brian - I only use one for puching heavy gaskets now, but from memory about 1/4 turn ( a gentle swing on it) gives maybee 1/4 ram travel - someone smarter than me could give you the maths im sure :)

thinking on that would make it a 1" pitch thread. This is on a little 'Sweeny & Blocksage'

There are more than one tread that wind around the shaft this increases the pitch and makes the vertical travel faster than the rotational travel. This is called a 2 , 3, or 4 lead screw. A 4 lead fly press is best for blacksmithing as it gives the fastest travel.
these threads are also called multiple start threads. CNC Tech Talk - Dealing With Multiple Start Threads On Turning Centers - 02/06

2 start threads are commonly found on the screws for garage door openers and on some wood working vises. 3 and 4 starts a much less common and are a good "test" for a machinist. Remember you must be able to turn a nut to match.

There are more than one tread that wind around the shaft this increases the pitch and makes the vertical travel faster than the rotational travel. This is called a 2 , 3, or 4 lead screw. A 4 lead fly press is best for blacksmithing as it gives the fastest travel.
these threads are also called multiple start threads. CNC Tech Talk - Dealing With Multiple Start Threads On Turning Centers - 02/06

2 start threads are commonly found on the screws for garage door openers and on some wood working vises. 3 and 4 starts a much less common and are a good "test" for a machinist. Remember you must be able to turn a nut to match.

Yeah.. when I said I knew nothing about flypresses.. I meant it :D That would make sense. I totally forgot about that multi threading. Would make sense as some of the pics I have seen have has some interesing threading.

Checked my little sweeny & blocksage, and the ram travel is approx 2" per full rev of the screw - (well, I measured approx 1/4", over 1/4 turn, and you rarely use more than a big quarter turn, as you end up in knots !) - I got some pics of the screw on my phone, Ill post em soon.

(well, I measured approx 1/4", over 1/4 turn, and you rarely use more than a big quarter turn, as you end up in knots !) - I got some pics of the screw on my phone, Ill post em soon.

no one noticed my delibreate mistake on this one then..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I meant 1/2" per quater turn...... o o o o p p p p s.

no one noticed my delibreate mistake on this one then..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I meant 1/2" per quater turn...... o o o o p p p p s.

Look forward to the photo's.
Hey,do you remember when phone's were something you cranked a handle on and spoke to people !!!! Amazing.