I Forge Iron

Next meeting, May 14th. '16

The next AAB meeting will be May 14th. At Pat's studio, "Arctic Fires Bronze," in Palmer.

Part of the scope of this meeting will be preparation for the upcoming Mark Aspery class June 11th & 12th. The  farther ahead we can get with the tools we'll need the more we can learn from Mr. Aspery. We'll have a number of stations set up so some of you first timers can have some anvil time, there will be experienced guys to help you.

Frosty The Lucky.

I must not have been paying attention Tristan what kind of tongs: 3/4" sq, rd. V bit? I sure hope you don't expect me to show anyone how to do more than screw up tongs, I've never been very good and went downhill after the accident.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do they need to be round bit or will V bits be okay? I assume bolt tongs but a long jaw but I'm not sure. I've watched his flat bit tong video a couple times. I'm not much for making tongs I sure hope Mark can make it!

Jerry

I don't know but I doubt it, this is his busy season, home shows from here to Fairbanks to who knows where else. Maybe we can have our laptops playing the videos so we can follow along.

Jerry

I think I will be there. We will want some 5/8 or 3/4 round stock (coil spring or 4140) to make 3/4 inch tongs. I like 5/8 better, lazy I guess. I will hopefully bring some dies and a shoulder tool. should be pretty easy to make. What else do we need tool wise for the clinic?  some rivets would be nice as well for the tongs.

Glad you are able to make it.

I am not a fan of 3/4" either. He is having us make the tools we need on Saturday, for which we will need the tongs since the tools are all 3/4" stock.

there is some other stock we will want on hand for projects, but those will all be mild and I will post that before the class.

I am REALLY glad to hear you might make it to the meeting Mark, I was really sweating making decent tongs. I know I'm NOT the guy to show anyone how.

I'll go through my coil springs and see what dia. I have.

What dia. rivet stock? I don't think there's enough time to have rivets shipped. Are they even available over the counter in Anchorage? I'll check Fasten All here in the valley but haven't seen much before.

You just put a BIG smile on my face Mark.

Jerry