I Forge Iron

What else do you do?

Soupyjones

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Kaylee; have you seen the "self repair manifesto"?   It goes in my shop along with my metal Bender poster.

https://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

Oh my gosh. No I hadn't seen it, but it's so true to me! I love it, and I think I need a big poster of it printed out, and plastered on the garage door! (The one going to the garage from the house, not the one to outside) I will also be sending that around, like Frosty. Seriously, thank you so much for this!

Also, how could I forget to mention I'm into video games fairly heavily? My only tattoo is a gaming related one!

19 hours ago, Kaylee said:

Oh my gosh. No I hadn't seen it, but it's so true to me! I love it, and I think I need a big poster of it printed out, and plastered on the garage door! (The one going to the garage from the house, not the one to outside) I will also be sending that around, like Frosty. Seriously, thank you so much for this!

Also, how could I forget to mention I'm into video games fairly heavily? My only tattoo is a gaming related one!

You into RPG? We're looking for a 6th seeing as one of the prospects was just funnin us.

Frosty The Lucky.

Attended college for Computer Programming and Business, also trained as an acupuncturist and substance abuse councillor and was close to my degree in Oriental Medicine before I realised I dont have the ability to let go, (I still have nightmares about 2 cases that I fear I may never forget about)  so I settled for EMT license to work as a substitute.

Worked construction and played Bass guitar while in school, and finally learned I dont want a desk job but was able to get my Electrical Journeman license in 1984.  Now I have a Masters license which I had used to run my own shop for a number of years, until I sold it and joined IBEW which is how I now support my family. 

Growing up, the family moved around a bit for dads job which caused continuity issues with training so I have belts in TaeKwonDo, Aikido and teach with my 5th degree Masters belt in Jujitsu, and I wrote a book along the way, and still play bass occasionally.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Kaylee; have you seen the "self repair manifesto"?   It goes in my shop along with my metal Bender poster.

https://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

Thanks for this, I've sent it along to other interested people as well. I've repaired everything I can esp. if I can get parts or make a part work.  Wanted to replace a motor on a very well know Vac. a few years ago and the dealer told me they weren't allowed to sell any parts as nobody was smart enough to fix.  I went home and called the States Attorney and who I knew and he made a call and presto I became smart enough and they gave me the motor!   It is still working today after 15 yrs. 

HF is great for no parts available which is unacceptable to me.  I've got a 2 cyc. generator which the recoil cogs broke and "sorry no parts but we will sell you another one".  $4 part to cause me to throw a generator away.  Unfortunately my friend the SA has retired.    

• 1 month later...

I'm currently the Chief Estimator of a Denver-Metro Electrical Contractor. Before that I was an estimator at a couple of general contractors.  I have a degree in Construction Management, Electronics Technology, and I've been a Journeyman Electrician for 13 years now.  I had a series of major back injuries during my apprenticeship that  cost me an inch of height, and shifted my career towards being a technician.  I worked at a quality control company for nut and bolt manufacturers in Michigan for a year or two.  From there I went to California during the dot-com boom and installed inspection equipment in semi-conductor cleanrooms around the world.

I met my future wife on the return flight from the California job interview, and moved to Colorado just as the dot-com bubble was busting.

She supported me and our growing family as I returned to school for the CM degree.  By graduation, we had two daughters and I've been working as an estimator ever since.

I've played guitar for 31 years or so although practice has fallen off rather severely over the last decade.  I spend whatever free time I have on blogging, archery, canoeing, leatherwork, carpentry, home improvement and of course blacksmithing.  I probably spend more free time cooking for my family than anything else.