I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Anvil

I have an old Peter Wright anvil, about 85 lbs.  Face is 12-1/2 in x 3-1/2 in, height is 9 in, and the horn with step is 7-1/4 inches.  This has been handed down from at least my grandfather, perhaps by his father. I am guessing it is from early 1900's at least.  I am trying to determine its value.   I have attached pictures.  Unfortunately, I am not opting to keep it as I have not been trained in the metal arts, and don't really see that happening. Any help on me trying to value it for a local sale (Sacramento, CA area) or suggestions of how to do so would be appreciated.  I'd rather that it go to a good home rather than just sit in my garage. 

Jeff

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 9.21.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 9.21.00 PM.png

Edited by JeffC
uploaded pictures

Welcome aboard Jeff. You'll start hearing from guys in your area directly I'm sure. Get in touch with the CDA, they're a very active blacksmithing club all over California and the Pac NW. I believe they're having a conference n Ferndale shortly. I won't hazard a guess as to your anvil.

Are you SURE you wouldn't at least like to give blacksmithing a try? It's a LOT of fun, you HAVE TO play with fire and hit things with hammers and there are few things in life as satisfying as using things you've made with your own hands. Garden tools, coat hooks, BBQ and fire place tools are all excellent beginner's projects and you get to use them or gift them to friends. It is believe me a good feeling and bar none great stress relief.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty - Thanks for the reply.  I'll have to give your encouragement to try blacksmithing some more thought.  There is a local shop . . . a few towns over that offers some classes.  Owner happens to also be president of the local club.  And the Good Lord knows some stress relief is always helpful.  I will think about it before making a final decision.  I am planning to give him a call tomorrow about it.  I suppose I could give it a try for a while, and then if it really is something I am not finding of interest, could then pass it on.  Thanks again !  Jeff

Good, I hope you find blacksmithing as addictive as so many of us have. I'd hate to see a family heirloom lost without an effort to fit it into today's family. Blacksmithing is great stress relief but not in what a person might infer. It's more a Zen like way of learning to let stress go than it is relieving stress and frustrations by bashing the crap out of something. Oh sure there's plenty of hammering but blacksmithing is actually about control. To make things you have to control everything involved, the fire, the temperature of the steel, it's position and so many facets of the hammer it's hard to list. Before you can control these things you have to control yourself. You have to be able to do it by reflex and anger really screws up good control.

Before I get anymore carried away, blacksmithing is about being in the zone and successfully managing all the variables involved from the zone precludes frustrations and stress, you let them go, they no longer have YOU. Smithing in the zone is a meditative state that allows you to MAKE things. It makes you feel good and if you can use your Grandfather and Father's tools . . . <wistful sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Absolutely agree with Frosty. That's a great starter anvil, too; there are a lot of hobbyist blacksmiths who would love to get their hands on it. At least give it a try before you let it slip away!

Oh, and my anvil sat by the end of the couch in our NYC apartment for over twenty years between when I stopped blacksmithing and when I started up again last summer. That's one of the great things about anvils: they don't go bad!

On 2016-04-04 at 9:24 AM, Frosty said:

It's more a Zen like way of learning to let stress go than it is relieving stress and frustrations by bashing the crap out of something.

Which was/is your martial art Frosty? It took me a lot of time in the dojo to learn that this is how it works

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 5:19 AM, gote said:

Which was/is your martial art Frosty? It took me a lot of time in the dojo to learn that this is how it works

It was  more of a self defense style school than a particular "School" or style. Sensei Bill combined the strongest parts of Kempo and Shotokan and his style grew from there. I guess you could call it "Ryusaki Karate." He felt the round redirection of Kempo blocks and stances were much superior to most Japanese brute strength techniques. However he didn't like the pitty pat nature of Kempo's hit a person 30 times to talk them into losing.

His selection of Shotokan techniques were for it's direct to the point and nail them to the ground nature. No not always right up the middle but every contact with the opponent was for effect and no bobbing and weaving unless necessary. ALWAYS go for the greatest threat and always go for max effect. I don't know whether making Shotokan more: fluid, round, poison and deflective, or making Kempo more: powerful, hard and damaging had the greatest effect but it was a tournament winning style.

There was also a lot of other arts mixed in from jujitsu and kendo, and no not sport Kendo, we learned all kinds of weapons and how to deal with them, etc. I have very good memories of studying the arts.

Frosty The Lucky.