I Forge Iron

Today I scored

Bowland

Posted on a UK Forum I was looking for a leg vice and scored with this one within an hour 

Only 20 miles from home 

Picture as it came into shop and after a quick ten mins with a scraper and some cleaning mix 

Paid thirty gbp DSC_0913.thumb.JPG.5cc138802147b5bc81d0b

DSC_0915.JPG

It looks like a Peter Wright. I found in my travels to Australia, Canada, and the British Isles that the legs on Peter Wrights are slightly chamfered as yours is, but the ones imported to the U.S. were deeply chamfered. I don't know the reason, just curious.

1 hour ago, Frank Turley said:

It looks like a Peter Wright. I found in my travels to Australia, Canada, and the British Isles that the legs on Peter Wrights are slightly chamfered as yours is, but the ones imported to the U.S. were deeply chamfered. I don't know the reason, just curious.

Interesting

I do see pictures of this design over in your country. I haven't the foggiest who made it unfortunately 

I doubt it's been used from when the smithy it came from closed

The guy I bought it from had it years but never fit it. The guy he got it off had it likewise 

These things only have value to guys who use them don't they just. He was about ready to chuck it out