I Forge Iron

Help identifying?

I recently purchased an anvil that I personally had history with. It was the lead blacksmith's anvil at National Spring co. when I worked there 18 years ago. National Spring has since gone out of business but it was open for over 50years. I was wondering if someone may be able to help with identifying the maker, age, weight, and a value? This anvil was used for shaping leaf springs. The bottom stamp is 5-5-1= 841lbs?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What you have there looks like the die from an industrial size drop or steam hammer or press, atatched to a heavy cylinder of some sort.  Is the cylinder solid or hollow?  Guessing it was hollow or you would have mentioned that the whole thing was in the 1k to 2k pound weight range.  If it was used for hand hammering when you worked there then someone previous adapted a big piece of steel for the job at hand.  

The stamped #s are not weight numbers in the hundred weight system as you were guessing, those were found pretty exclusivly on anvils made in a narrow time period and of a specific shape in a specific country (1800-1930 +/_, London Pattern, England).  They are probably internal batch or heat treat numbers.  

Regardless that is one fine piece of steel to hammer on.  Lots of possibilities.  And best of all it's yours to work with now.  

It is a beast. The base is a 18" diameter 1" wall sleeve that is filled with sand. This being an old bottom die would make sense one side appears to have been ground/ machined because it goes through the stamp on the side. If I were to guess the whole thing is about 1k-1.2klbs.