I Forge Iron

Winter project finished

Looks like a nice start, very creative use of the cast iron skillet. If you don't mind a couple comments/suggestions, add an opening door to the back side for when you need to work the middle of a longer piece. Larger pipe fittings would help with air flow. Do you have some sort of ash dump built in to the plumbing?

Nice job on the 55 forge, ditto a back door. Do you have a reason to use a "T" out front rather than an elbow? It's a good policy to have the air turn a corner to keep the blow drier from sticking out a foot or so. They're too easy to run into or trip over. That "T" is a poke you in the leg hazard too.

I like a cast iron fry pan for a field expedient fire pot it's a much better depth than many other expedients. Did you drill holes or cut slots for the air grate?

Slots work nicely it's easy to poke the tip of the coal rake into the slots and slide it along to clear clinker where holes need to be found and poked individually.

Good looking fire too. Well done all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I like using a "T", might I suggest putting a valve on the other end? You can now adjust the air supply by venting the excess. In the future place the blower 90 degrees to your non domanant hand 

It's out of the way but easy to reach to adjust air or shut off (and that's where you want a mechanical blower or bellows handle anyway)

Nothing is finer than using what you have and making it work, well done. I hadn't thought of using a T on the inlet as a control port it's simple and affective, I like it. Another thought if a fellow had some extra ducting to fit on the bypass side of the T s/he could duct the excess air up the stack and supercharge the draft.

Frosty The Lucky.