I Forge Iron

bar bender material?

thanks guys

Hillbillysmith i need a precise bender which can be used in different ways with attachments. i'll use it for making gym equipment.

ThomasPowers can i use bender made with mild steel with hard seamless tube?

aametalmaster thanks for the link thats the only plan for hosfeld type i found online still i am searching for Di-acro type bender plans. i showed it to my friend he said he can make it if i will tell him material.

Yes, no, maybe depending on a lot of factors. For production work you may need the dies to be a better grade of steel and properly heat treated but most of the body can be mild steel.

Bending tubing without crimping can be a difficult task and custom dies are often needed.

Just like a metal lathe may be turning tool steel but the body may be made from cast iron!

thanks

that means i have to harden the mild steel with heat treatment for both type of bender hosfeld and diacro type and their dies also?

may be after some time holes in both benders get oval in shape if material is soft.

yes i will be using custom dies and attachments to bend and hold the tube.

Handyman, mild steel is not suitable for hardening. If you feel that yo need hardened steel then choose a steel suitable for a hammer. That is unnecessary, as mild (low Carbon) steel is appropriate for this device. 1/2" (12mm) or thicker would be good. Use a medium carbon steel (such as for hammers) to make the pins. The eyes will get sloppy after some time and at that point you may wish to redesign.

Handyman, do a search for Acrobend. They produce benders that are exactly like the di-acro units. They even advertise their parts as being usable in the di-acro benders. On their site they offer an exploded diagram of the unit including all nuts and bolts. Alot of engineering went into these benders, then alot of machining and this equals alot of cash out of your pocket to get one. I hope the exploded diagram helps you. You should find the diagram in the model 625 owners manual. I started a thread in the blacksmithing forum a while back titled, rate your hand benders. LarryM posted a link to plans for a hossfeld type bender that is a little different than the "bender similar to the hossfeld #2plans".

You can use some sort of bronze sleeve bearing for bushings or even steel sleeve bearings. For that matter, you could even use a few cartridge bearings and shouldn't have to worry about the pivot ever ovalizing. Might have to change the bearings/sleeves but that would depend on extent of use.