I Forge Iron

B7 Steel For General Forging?

I have access to pretty much as many ASTM A193 B7 threaded studs as I want for free, but I'm not sure if they're worth collecting?

They are generally 7/8" to 1-1/8" diameter and usually around 6" long. 

The best I can tell  from online searches is that it's very close, or equal to, treated 4140, but I haven't found much mention of forging with it.

They are made from Chromium-Molybdenum Ferritic Alloy Steel with a tensile strength of 125 KSI and a Rockwell Harness of 35 HRC in a plain finish.

Looks to me like it wouldn't be very good for knives and such, but maybe OK for general forging?

Thanks.

A193 B7 is just quenched and tempered 4140/4142.  Up to .49 % carbon, not a great edge holding steel, but better than a RR spike.:rolleyes:

It should make great punches, drifts, etc. without too much change in profile. Lacking a power hammer or striker, I would not want to spend a lot of energy and time turning them in to something else.

Sounds like good tong steel to me IF you have a power hammer to draw it to usable and you'd have to lose the threads or they're just a long line of cold shuts awaiting to be born.

I think a bucket of them wouldn't be a bad thing to have back in a corner, good trading stock if nothing else.

Frosty The Lucky.