I Forge Iron

New close forge

Anton Helsgaun

So, recently my forge (originally made for smelting aluminum but also got to the point of smelting steel,it was kinda like grant thompsons) broke. It was a pretty crappy forge, made out of pretty scrappy materials, but now i want to make a better one.

So i really want it to be a closed forge with air blowing in from the side, but i dont know wheter it should be square or triangular yet. It is gonna be running off charcoal. I was planning to make it out of fire bricks and then some fireproof mortar. I want to make possible to have a small crucible inside it, too.

So does anyone have experience or tips for building one of these? whether it should triangular or square, or if i should give it a outer shell of steel, build it up from the grund, and whether it is much better if its open from the side, if i should have a "door" to close off the opening, ect.           Any tips will be greatly apprechiated!

1 hour ago, the iron dwarf said:

for smelting aluminium you would need completely different equipment than for smelting steel!

smelting means making metal from ore

it is not he same as melting metal

first decide what you want to do and then learn about the process and what is needed

Thanks for the info, didn't know that! I just want to melt aluminum, and copper (not gonna say lead as I should stay away from that)

I also wanna kinda "forge" steel sometimes, but not melt it, that was just an accident

if you dont know the difference you probably have a lot to learn before you can melt copper and ali safely,

a friend who has worked metal all his life nearly lost an eye melting ali, his face is scarred as well from a very small accident

only do it with the help of experienced people

wear all the PPE

always have a plan B for when things go wrong ( and they will )

if in doubt ask people here

be safe

From what you say, I would suggest 2 items, one a forge for working hot ferrous metal, and one for casting. They are two different things.

Go with the forge first as it will be easiest and safer to use. Casting is a whole different process and requires a whole different mindset. Plan B MUST be in place and even a plan C. Things can and will go wrong. You MUST learn how to do it safely and that comes from lots of reading and a visit to more than one person experienced in that area.

I consider molten metal much more dangerous than hot steel that is even several hundred degrees hotter than the molten metal.  As such I am very gunshy about working remotely with people who do not seem to have done their homework properly *first*.  I have been casting silver, copper and brass/bronze using my regular coal forge to heat the crucible; but in small amounts for knife fittings.  I learned at an "out of hours" class on brass casting given by a local university Fine Arts Department back around 1984 and I STRONGLY suggest you find someone local to you that casts to help you during the ramp up period.  May I commend to your attention backyardmetalcasting.com "Melting metal with mostly homemade equipment and a small budget. Metalcasting information for building a home foundry in your backyard."

1 hour ago, the iron dwarf said:

which part of the world are you in Anton, there may be people in your area who can help

I live in Denmark, and sadly, there is none who can help me

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I consider molten metal much more dangerous than hot steel that is even several hundred degrees hotter than the molten metal.  As such I am very gunshy about working remotely with people who do not seem to have done their homework properly *first*.  I have been casting silver, copper and brass/bronze using my regular coal forge to heat the crucible; but in small amounts for knife fittings.  I learned at an "out of hours" class on brass casting given by a local university Fine Arts Department back around 1984 and I STRONGLY suggest you find someone local to you that casts to help you during the ramp up period.  May I commend to your attention backyardmetalcasting.com "Melting metal with mostly homemade equipment and a small budget. Metalcasting information for building a home foundry in your backyard."

What would you say makes a traditional forge better then a closed "tube" like what I want to build?