I Forge Iron

My "what to do with it"

Good day all-----I have a block 14" x 14" x 24"  stamped C1---I havent yet done a complete test on the piece,but assuming C1----worth slabbing into more useable size ? or,as all sides are true,worth hammering on ? Thanks in advance !!!!

If it's steel it's a fine anvil just as it stands; if it's cast iron then you have a lovely weight.; so which is it?  either way if those dimensions are accurate it's over 1200 pounds:

steel common 1333 pounds, cast iron 1206 pounds.  Note that C1 doesn't mean anything without knowing what the key is for the people that stamped it.  Could even be a part number...

Thank you for the responses----it is appreciated.As it may not be feasible to get an accurate test done ,I may be putting a hammer to it.FWIW----I stated H as 24"--meant 12"---sometimes my brain doesn't type what my fingers are thinking.Thanks again.

what were you planning on cutting of slabs for? I think it would be more usable as is.

Littleblacksmith

It is a chunk !!!----part of the mother of all "it followed me homes".I need to put some photos together,was a mixed bag and a treasure trove and made my truck cry.

Tires are not commercial,but in good shape and didnt blow---had that at even money.I will tell a tale.Saw a notice for an estate sale,2 things caught my eye "large vise--scrap metal"---and not far away.I was off.Driving past the front of the house,I expected little---a tiny pillbox shoehorned into a mostly residential neighborhood.Around back,the shop was 4 times the size of the house.One of the 2 double bay doors had a massive overhead trolley hoist.Most of the equip had been sold prior to the auction,but decades of wear on the floor outlined where a dozen massive pieces of machinery once sat.Evidentily,the gentleman who passed away was a renowned machinist/fabricator who also tested and heat treated for many around the world including Lockheed and Battelle.The vise went above my pay grade---but the scrap !! TONS of scrap--tons of tons.And tons.Rods,slabs,sheet,cut offs,drops,ingots and chunks.The scrap lined both shop walls 25 feet long and 2 deep !!.I cant fault them for not breaking the metal into lots (would still be there today)---but they only split it into 2 lots and 2 of the local scrappers split the deal.I buddied up to 1 and asked if I could cherry pick a few pieces before his helper showed up---"SURE".I went for the odd ball stuff--half dozen round drops (machined ends) all lengths 8-12" diam 8-12" -- doz 4 foot rounds diam1-2" huge chunk C1--2 ft round of 6" 76% ni  15%cr-----2 60 lb chunks of "grey stuff"---and a bunch of other heavy stuff---my ton plus didnt put a dent in a dent.Asked how much---and my guy said "you tell me"---I thought I would start the ball rolling by giving him a chuckle,so I said 30 bucks---he said "its all yours !"----I crept home.Wasnt till I got home and scraped a few decades of dust off the "grey stuff" that I saw the marking "ti"---88%ti 4% v  !!!---I can only imagine what those 2 scrappers hauled off to the scales !!----Now I just need to figure out what to do with it all !!!