I Forge Iron

Forgeable ?

Good Day All-----I have acquired a quantity of "test samples"-----pieces 1" x 3 "x 1/8 and 1/4.These were acquired at an auction held to settle an estate.The big 3 are 85.5% fe  7.6% ni  4% co----I was considering them as edge inserts for axe heads/knife blades.Worth the effort ?!?!.I call them test samples as the gentleman whose estate they came from was a respected fabricator/tester for many,including Lockheed and Battelle.As time permits,I may post a "it followed me home"-----you may not like me after reading it !!! Thank you in advance.

You said the big 3 (I assume percentage-wise).  There's still 2.9% unaccounted for, so we just don't have enough information to answer the question.  If the carbon is over 0.6 it's probably decent edge material, but without knowing the carbon content we can't tell you more.

cut of a piece of one of 'em of, beat on it, normalize it, quench it in oil- if that doesn't work, than quech it in water. if it doesn't hardin than just use it how you would mild steel.

Littleblacksmith