I Forge Iron

Hummingbird2

Daswulf

Durring my surprise bday party over the weekend (thanks my crazy friends) there was interest in my hummingbird outside so I thought I'd give an indoor sculpture a go tonight.  

I risked a spring on this one so the flower and bird move. After the second spring it worked :rolleyes:  

I had 2 pieces that worked out to break this one in two.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks good. The spring looks very short ( a valve spring?) so I guess the bird vibrates rather than rocks. (As a hummingbird should!)

The base doesn't look heavy enough to support the top, but obviously it is.

It was like a valve spring but a tad lighter then most I have. It does rock a little for a short time then more of a vibration.  

The base seems to be holding the weight well, I'll keep it in the house a while and see how it holds up to the cats. I could easily ad some weight to the base. 

Let's see if this reply shows up. My first one just said I really like the hummer.

I don't think that's too much spring for the flower but a hummer moves much faster so maybe a stiffer spring for hummers. Maybe mount the wings on springs? Flappy birds are attractive.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Let's see if this reply shows up. My first one just said I really like the hummer.

I don't think that's too much spring for the flower but a hummer moves much faster so maybe a stiffer spring for hummers. Maybe mount the wings on springs? Flappy birds are attractive.

Frosty The Lucky.

I thought about putting springs on the wings but wasn't daring enough this round. An outdoor pole mounted bird in a flight stance would look great with springs on the wings.  

The only problem with an outdoor hummer is scale, they're small enough folk might miss one unless it's right in their face. I always thought it'd be fun to overcome this little problem by scaling the hummer up and me being me I took the concept to the illogical conclusion. A humming bird with a T Rex skewered on it's bill would be an attention grabber don't you think? B)

Frosty The Lucky.

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The only problem with an outdoor hummer is scale, they're small enough folk might miss one unless it's right in their face. I always thought it'd be fun to overcome this little problem by scaling the hummer up and me being me I took the concept to the illogical conclusion. A humming bird with a T Rex skewered on it's bill would be an attention grabber don't you think? B)

Frosty The Lucky.

:D Might cause a few vehicle accidents. Shish Kabob T-rex eh? haha