I Forge Iron

Treadle Torch

A treadle Valve then, I've just never heard a gas saver called a treadle torch. Gas savers been around a lonng time in one brand or another. Dad used them spinning during WII and they were old then.

I have a thumb valve on my torch handle and an electric spark generator it takes up no floor space nor is there a pilot light. You can buy the electric igniter but a trickle charger works just fine. Ground the table or work and clip the other cable to the torch, brush the table as you open the valve and it's lit.

Frosty The Lucky.

The nice thing about the gas saver valve is one does not need to reset the mixture valves.  On the version of Wendell’s “treadle torch” I saw he had moved the pilot light off the gas saver valve and mounted the torch on an arm that swung through the pilot light and then continued out of the way to allow the material to be heated access to the torch.  In treadle mode the treadle opened the valve and held and lit the torch. -grant

Frosty, the treadle torch enables user to work with both hands free, ........stomp the foot lever,this moves pilot across rosebud, thus ignititing the torch and stays lit until foot is released from lever. i have started it already and will post up pics when complete.

• 2 weeks later...

All finished.....after a long sit and think, i decided i wanted the torch to be stationary ( until opening the de-sta-co clamp, then its mobile). Built it so the igniting flame mount to a foot operated swivel. The flame was a bit tricky so opted for a turnbuckle to fine tune the timing. 

torch 1.jpg

torch 2.jpg