I Forge Iron

Quick Supply Line Question

Forging Carver

Something I learned from my build that you can consider in acquiring your parts, and that others should take into consideration in giving advice, is that you can waste a lot of time trying to source exact parts from a single parts list and that you're going to have to track down a lot of small parts from different sources.

As a hobbyist, I consider that my time is worthless in monetary terms, but it becomes a serious burden and annoyance when wasting time not finding the part I need, acquiring parts that end up not working and delaying the build by days or weeks because I don't have the free time to go all over town shopping, or when I had to have something else shipped.

For that reason, I advise that the more you can get in kit form from the least amount of suppliers, the faster you will be beating hot metal.

I suggest you get all your lining/refractory material from Wayne Coe. Along with supplying you with exactly the linings that go with his design that you are building, you also get e-mail technical support. I got the regulator kit from Hi-temp tools because Zoeller seemed to be AWOL. He responded to my first inquiry months after I had acquired my parts elsewhere. He may be back up and running now, but I could not get what I needed from him at the time.

And, although your local propane supplier might be able to supply some parts, they are not nearly as knowledgeable about the proper configuration for a gas forge as opposed to a turkey fryer or a backyard barbecue. I have one extra regulator and about another $30 in unusable parts I got from them that I ended up not using. And that was with the burner in hand and telling them to start at the end of my burner and sell me everything all the way back to the tank.

Yeah I did the same thing as you. Bought my supplies from Wayne and am using his instructions. I contacted Zoeller 3 times over the past few weeks, and got nothing. I contacted High temp last night, and he responded right away. I am going to order tonight, and maybe work in my t burner. The tricky part is going to be the casting. I want to make sure that it is level so that I don't have the cracks like you said you got. I think my dads spackel knife will do the trick.

Also, how long did your shipment from high temp take?

Frosty,

Actually the DOT does have authority to make the other rules on propane cylinder use; not just about its transport. But, DOT requirements are backed up by other government agencies, under federal and local fire codes; the local fire codes are almost universally taken from national codes these days, so that local authorities can cover their sixes, by "compliance to higher authority." It is sad, but also necessary. Why are federal and local authorities so picky about propane? Because of all those thin walled low pressure cylinders, their pressure release valves, and the safety complications posed by a heavier than air fuel gas.

Okay, it's more an inter agency agreement than actual authority. Still real on our end even if unofficial. It doesn't actually matter if a code inspector is reading his office book they're allowed to use other references and can still shut you down.

Propane tanks aren't really that low pressure, nothing compared to oxy, nitrogen, etc. but still high enough to make an impressive short range rocket. Heavier than air flammable gas is a special danger, too many folk have basements and not enough sense. I'd mention fuel oil vapors as a REALLY dangerous heavier than air fuel gas but I'm tired of the ridiculous straw man arguments from folk who don't believe the hazard and won't read the official info.

Oh CRAP I just did didn't I?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Back when I was writing Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, and Kilns, I began my research on applicable safety codes by looking up posted information on Propane Association web sites. I then went on to posted information on NFPA member sites, since I didn't want to pay for an  authorized copy of the national fire codes, from which nearly all local fire codes are derived.

But it's been sixteen years, and everything changes on the Net over time; sometimes mere months of it. So to provide that information I'd have to spend money or months finding the information again, and just don't have enough interest left to revisit a subject that holds very little interest for most people.

also, I did not say that torch carts are illegal; I said they weren't legal to use in shops, and as used by most people in the field. I also said that this rule is almost universally ignored with impunity, except when the fuel gas is propane, and stated why (thousands of incidents where the over-pressure safety valve releases a cloud of highly flammable gas; over-pressure valves on propane cylinders are set for very low pressure release because of the thin cylinder wall, as compared to other fuel gases, which come in cylinders with much heavier wall thickness).

You have to wonder about things when laws we're expected to live by aren't allowed into the uninitiated's hands without paying a userous fee. Have you tried finding a copy of the traffic code recently? Probably just to make sure we need a lawyer eh?

Low pressure is a matter of context I suppose, most propane tanks operate at 200psig. at 70f. I don't know what the relief plug is set for, it's hardly a valve, more like the freeze plug on an engine. I know I've seen enough video of propane tanks flying like a devil chaser when the plug blows.

Dangerous stuff it is and I'm with you, I don't have enough time to try convincing folk who don't want to know anymore, I just stay out of their shops.

Frosty The Lucky.