I Forge Iron

Unicorn

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Next commission is a Dog. Needs to kind of look like a black lab and have a stupid (silly) look on its face. those are the only two things the guy is concerned with.

A silly black lab. Good luck with that! I often make silly faces on my bird sculptures - it's all in the eyes. Tilt the head and make the eyes uneven. They look crazy! 

4 hours ago, scrapartoz said:

I like your unicorn but I think it needs some work on the rear legs . something not true to form there . here is a possible alternative. cheers

I see what you mean there Scrapartoz. Thank you. The legs on this one did give me a fit. I can only imagine what you deal with on a full scale horse. 

13 minutes ago, scrapartoz said:

just take it slow .get a good side on view in A4 size photograph  , measure accurately the distance between the joints   of the leg  , take note which way they bend , then do it in coathanger wire. if it looks right then do minor adjustments then  copy in scrap , cheers

Andrew, that's absolutely beautiful and I strive to get to that point. I really appreciate the advise. I seem to run back and forth to my phone looking at a lot of google images at times for this stuff. I should print out or even sketch the exact thing (pose) I want to achieve. Sometimes I feel if I got things wrong it was from looking at too many different references at one time. So maybe I picked this from that and that from the other. 

Ive found its better if you commit to a basic stance. your measurements will be the same whatever stance you choose. If you measure the legs and copy the angles you cant go wrong . The natural variety of different parts of scrap you use will make sure that you deviate from the plan a bit .But no 2 will look the same! The next thing is you must get perfect is the line from behind the ears to under the rump. If this is wrong it will only look worse from this point. Wire is helpful to "draw"  whats in your minds eye.

nagplan.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CoyoteGear said:

Looks good man!  Reminds me of that robot unicorn game from adult swim a few years ago. 

Can't wait to see the dog

Thanks CoyoteGear. Can't say I've seen that. May have to look it up. 

I'm slowly working on the pooch :)