I Forge Iron

Titanium

Marty Sparks

Yes; it will be of course much more expensive than getting sheet titanium and working it into armor; but it can be done.  May I commend to your attention the forums on armor making at armourarchive.org  where you will find a number of people with experience in making titanium armour of various types (and yes they tend to use the english spelling armour as well as the american spelling armor).  Remember that the inertia of armor does make a difference so very light armor may not work as well as heavier armour in some cases.

Titanium

Titanium
Titanium is a chemical element with symbol Ti and atomic number 22. It is a lustrous transition metal with a silver color, low density and high strength. It is highly resistant to corrosion in sea water, aqua regia and chlorine.
  • Discovered: 1791
  • Melting point: 1,668 °C
  • Symbol: Ti
  • Electron configuration: [Ar] 3d2 4s2
  • Atomic number: 22
  • Boiling point: 3,287 °C

Marty, your profile doesn't give your age or location! However, it is possible but not practical.  It's like asking " if I collected lots of soft drink cans could I melt them down and make a shield?" The answer to this would be "yes its do-able, it would take a lot of work , cost a lot and the shield would most likely suck"

Ask your folks to rent the movie 'A knights tale'  after watching it you would possibly have a better understanding of armor and how its made.

Welcome aboard Marty, glad to have you. If you'll put yor general location in the header you might be surprised how many  IFI members are within visiting distance.

Casting Ti isn't something for a home shop. Get it to melting temp in ambient air and the fire will do a fair impression of the China Syndrome.

If you're dead set on Ti armor take Thomas's advice, buy sheet stock AFTER you learn how to work sheet metal. There's a LOT more to it than just beating on it with hammers. It's a skilled craft.

Frosty The Lucky.