I Forge Iron

Forging a Colonial Axe

This is my take on forging a colonial axe using bowtie construction.  One of the benefits of this is shape is when you want to use wrought iron for the body of the axe.  The high carbon bit is 1075.  Many thanks to Peter Ross for the starting dimensions.  Anyhow, here is my video:  

Here are the dimensions:  1/2"x2"x11" flat bar.  The divisions are 3" on each side for the blade, 2" for the cheeks, leaving 1" for the poll.  I use a small round file to set my marks on each side.  You can use the edge of the anvil to make your starting depressions.  On my website I show one being forged using just the anvil and similar progression photos.  Hope this helps.

might try making one tomorrow.

littleblacksmith

that is after I make all of the tooling

I just realized that you'll be at the steephollow February open forge next Saturday forging this axe! look foreword to seeing you.

Littleblacksmith

• 1 month later...