I Forge Iron

Blacksmith arm wrestling

OK then,
who among us, uses power hammers? Yes, I'm jealous, but I bet I can beat any smith who uses a press or power hammer @ arm wrestling. Right handers on right handers, south paws on south paws.

Well, OK that does not prove anything, except rotator cuff problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, stone finger, etc.
At least us hammer jocks can boast after staggering home from the pub..:D

Hammer Jocks Unite

it was using a 1/2" drill above my head for 3 months earned me the torn rotator cuff
at the anvil if my shoulder starts to hurt I know Im doing it wrong
and with a 2000 gram French cross peen you figure that one out in a hurry

I wish I could get more hammer time but in smaller sessions its either all or nothing, all day making pennies with a 4.5lb hammer turns you into a ham handed cartoon of Popeye :p

I treat my arms and hands like a professional baseball pitcher so I'm not inclined to arm-wrassle. I lift weights and hit a speed or heavy bag for conditioning and always stretch before working in the shop since I don't want to experience torn rotator cuffs and such. I'm 49 and have been successfully working at this trade since I was 24 - would like to continue until it's time to plant me.

That's good advice.
I'm not a pro, but work extensively with hand tools at my day job. I think the vibration is starting to get to my joints. I try to warm up a wee bit also. Range of motion is very important for your shoulder. I see guys my age, (47), who are starting to loose a percentage of their arm motion.
Ahhhh, Tiger balm:D

I don't have a power hammer either. I use an 8lb hammer to get the metal moving, then use a 4lb'er. I did use a 16lb'er a couple of times, until my friend broke the handle by accident, now I can't use it for a while. I don't work out or anything, but my arms are roughly 22-24 inches around. My cousin works out though and was benching (the last I knew of) 425lbs, which is insane.

P.S.
I'll arm wrestle for food. :)

One evening with some none too sober smiths ended up with an arm wrestlin contest only for xxxxs and grins they put up some hot coals on each side. It was a long contest believe me!

I watched some pre-teen Mexican boys arm wrestling over scorpions down in Laredo one time. They had the scorpions tied to the table with dental floss. I didn't stay long enough to see who won but the contestants were pretty committed to victory.