I Forge Iron

Arizona Attached Garage

Attached Garage- Phoenix Arizona Questions.
I would like to fix up my attached garage to make this workable. It seems most cost effective from what I can spend. 

Ok so this is the situation as I have a attached garage and would like to convert this to a shop. Its' 19.5 x 21.5 with a 8x10 area in the back. I am just a hobbiest getting started, so someday a real shop...That is a goal. 

Here is the situation, I live in Phoenix so the summer is coming and would like to make this fairly acceptable when its get's over 100+ for those 100+ days. 

So I have to insulate and Air Seal this area and I plan on using Roxul for insulation... I will being doing a complete tear our of current drywall and reinstalling. This house has brick on the outside as a note and has one and half walls that face the exterior. This will allow me to run more electrity too and allow me to install a mini split for A/C purposes. So I would need to install C02 detectors too from what I have been reading. Then the subject of ventillation comes up quite often. Ok don't want to poison myself...or others. 

1) I could open a door in the corner that allow's for me to place the forge outside. This is what I have been doing as a note*

2) Ideally I would like to leave this door closed...I would have to ventilate a 500 sf space with 10 feet ceilings roughly?... I obviously don't want toxic fumes to vent into the house.

a) Can I do the above with a single burner propane?
   B) could I upgrade to a coke forge with a chimney that vents outside eventually. 

3) Specific blacksmithing challenges that I am being ignornant on..

4) Anyone in Arizona have any suggestions to make this a workable space for our summers..

Maybe your first call should be to your insurance agent.  Mine told me I had to keep my forge outside well away from the house, when I was thinking of doing this at home. He called me back a few weeks later and told me, if I had the forge too near the house It would null my insurance.  I asked if a mile was far enough away from the house.  He said maybe and laughed.

Well, being a desert rat myself, and knowing code and insurance isues can be a pain in the posterior, look at the shade structures at the I17 rest area north of Black Canyon City. Honestly except for the later half of August and the first half of September a swamp cooler is all you need, a nice shade and wind brake (monsoons and winter rains) and your set. Mis me some dry desert air... 

If you still plan to go forward with the garage, look at code for fire resistance, such as fire blocking and double or triple fire rated sheet rock and doors. Won't prevent an accidental  fire in the shop (that's on you) but that and good interconnected fire alarms will give you and the fire department time to put out the fire before it eats the rest of the house. 

There is a guy on Youtube from Phoenix, Kevin something or other, and he does a lot of metal art and welding videos.  I have noticed his shop in Phoenix isn't insulated and he uses one of those big swamp coolers on wheels that they sell for shop use at Home Depot.  That is what I am planning to use in my new shop.

Them things are $pendy, keep an eye out and you can score a used roof unit. Insulated roofs are almost a requirement. 116f sun beats down on roof, roof heats to 140 and radiates down on smith...

smith's wife is proven right, he has cooked his brain...

insulated roof, no heat radiating down on smith, 85 degree air from swamper blowing buy and a can coszy to keep your drink cool...

heaven

16 hours ago, natenaaron said:

Maybe your first call should be to your insurance agent

This should be #1  I can't get insurance on my new shop because of the inside forge, liability only even after changing companies.

Fire codes in your area #2  most likely #'s 1 & 2 become combined.  I'm sure in Phoenix there are major fire safety rules I didn't have. 

Think long and hard before attaching this to you living area with family and all you property inside. 

That would be Kevin Caron.

Working in the heat is something you just get used to.  I'm not in Phoenix but our summers stay above 100 most of the time and I work outside, or in uninsulated metal buildings.  Grab a hand full of welding caps.  As one gets saturated with sweat wet another one with cold water and slap it on your head.  There are a lot of used coolers on the market.  Get a side draft one and attach wheels and a garden hose.  It is an easy thing to do and can be really cheap. It makes a bubble of nice until monsoon season.  Then you just man up and get your work done.

Stay hydrated.  Cut gatorade with water 1:1.  Don't just drink tons of water.  Found this out the hard way.  That flushes the electrolytes from your body.  Remember if your pee is not clear you are not hydrated and only hurting yourself.

Monsoons must strike a month earlier up your way, lol. 

The gold standard was mud.... Hokocom, Mexican and early white settlers all depended on Adobe. But the brush boyar provide shade, buy adding a foot of dirt it became a roof. 

The probblem with the valley now is the heat ill and effect. The desert cools off rather nicely (relitive to daytime highs) at night, but con feat, asphalt and artificial ponds make for hot, humid nights. I remember feeling positively chilly out buy Goodyear when the farms were being irrigated  

Monsoons are generally starting in mid to late July these days.  El-nino and climate change is making things all wonky.  Hence the reason I said you man up and get the work done.  Shade is great if you can get the air moving a bit.  When I am in one of the units I I always have a fan running. 

Come on back.  The desert never leaves your blood. 

Ok I am still leaving it a garage, this is a temporary thing until I can get a shop. I just want to insulate, run an AC (for coolness) and for noise mitigation . This is is more of a stop-gap as I am novice until I can put a workshop down..someday. So I can still open the garage door if needed.

I guess for me I want to make this comfortable as possible as I did a warehouse job for a couple of years and their was no A/C to speak of in that place. It was a overnight thing, but did I ever hate that job. The place I am training at over the next year uses swamp-coolers, so I will see how that goes. Maybe I can find one via CL. 

if the technology exists to keep it cooler..I'm taking that path for sure...

Yes the attic is an issue, that's why their is sheet rock on th celing, wouldn't be a bad idea to install two layers, taped and mudded on a fire wall in the attic.

in reality we are talking about installing an open fire place in your garage, the forge it's self is relitivly safe, it's the lose sparks finding an oily rag or a hot shard finding a pile of sawdust in the corner. 

Hardwired and interconnected fire alarms will warn you of that fire grimlin that was hiding under the bench when you went to bed. 

As to coming back, tempted every day. Thinking the rim for summer and the foothills for the winter. Just have to get Sandy retired (or drive her crazy enugh to draw a check...)

I don`t think I would bother running an a\c unit it would have to be huge to combat the Btus being put out by your gas forge.Go for an air extraction system and put the a\c inside the house where you go for a cold beer when finished:)