I Forge Iron

Cooking on the forge

FlyingXS

When working on the North Slope we'd make our sandwiches in the mess after breakfast, wrap in in foil and put it in a Herman Nelson, a pickup truck size diesel fuel fired space heater for about 10 minutes before lunch. Working outdoors in an Alaskan winter makes a hot lunch a GOOd thing. Heck, winter almost anywhere.

I just remembered in the brief time I worked on a paving crew we used to bury foil wrapped sandwiches in the hot asphalt in the Barber Green. (paver) Yo had to be careful to dig it out before it got included in the driveway or whatever. Oh MAN did that get you yelled at by the foreman and boss!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/26/2016 at 9:06 AM, Jim Coke said:

Greetings XS,

I built a special tube 3in in diameter 12 in long . Stainless inside than a copper insert pressed into a steel tube. One end is capped with a guide hole so you can slide in a 1/8 stainless rod with a hot dog attached. I constructed a special stand to set it on next to the forge.. Just pop it in the forge until dull red, remove, put in on the stand , slide in a squired hot dog and in less than a Minute.  Lunch. Also I welded a hoop on top so the tube could be moved easily .  One heat is good for 4 hotdogs . Tons of fun at a demo and lots of customers.. The main reason for this is to teach how radiant heat can be used. Sorry no Picts at this time stored away in a snow blocked building. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Hey Jim do you have any pictures for it? Im interested in seeing it to try and make one myself.

• 4 months later...