I Forge Iron

Side Draft- Insulate Horizontal

Hey guys, I recently finished up my side draft and it works real well. The horizontal is 12"x14" that I made from filing cabinet and the vertical is 26guage galvanized  10" duct. The horizontal penetrates through 2x4 framing with drywall on inside and vinyl siding on outside.  It's wrapped inside and out with sheet metal flashing.Li ke I said it works well and horizontal don't seem to get terribly hot and cools quickly after air blast quits, but I think as an extra precaution I would like to insulate the horizontal from the opening out past the framing and vinyl a couple inches to keep it cooler yet and wondering if others here had done anything similar. My idea before I hear from others is to make 10"x12" sheetmetal sleeve inside the horizontal with one inch air gap all around from door to couple inches outside the building. Like to hear what you all think. Thanks in advance.

i went ahead and put sheet metal sleeve inside with one inch of air space all way round and now it never gets too warm to touch. i ran it all night, and now i feel much better that the wall it penetrates will never heat up due to the forge.

i will wrap it in something the days not in use to keep cold out. the forge will be clean and cold and no risk to fire.