I Forge Iron

Unknown Anvil

So here is the anvil that is at my hardware store. Some of you guys might remember me saying that I could not figure out how I would get the thing out, well I was dumb and didn't release it is on the floor on the upstairs. So anyways, anyone have an idea what kind of anvil this is? I was not sure if it was a farriers anvil becuase of how large the overhang was by the hardy. It is in pretty darn good shape. Sorry I do not have more detailed pictures, but I forgot my phone at my house. The only thing that concerns me is that heel that it would be a weak point. let me know what you guys think about it. Thanks

Nice looking anvil. I have always liked those long graceful anvils like Trentons personally for some reason, so that one really appeals to me. That's as opposed to some that are more blocky like my Badger. It's an aesthetic thing more than anything. Sort of like how some guys like thin women vs ones with more meat on their bones.

I certainly wouldn't choose to do sledge work over the heel on that anvil, but I wouldn't hesitate to do most forging on that anvil. Hard to get a good feel for size in that pict, but it looks like it's at least 150 lbs.

Alright thanks for the help. DSW I agree with you on that. I like the looks much more than my blocky fisher. Some time this week I will go and check the rebound and take some more pictures. As long as the rebound is good and it isn't cast, I will ask if he will sell it. My dad knows the hardware store owner and I he knows me so I think he will sell. I will keep you guys posted some time again this week. Thanks

The devil is in the details!  I wouldn't pay you a penny a pound for a cast iron anvil; yet a Swedish cast steel anvil will go for over US$3 a pound easy if it's in good condition.

I still buy warranted cast steel tools when I find them at the fleamarket for the history of the process in Europe! (see: Benjamin Huntsman or Crucible Steel in wiki...)

Stop by some time and I'll let you take a rap on my cast steel Soderfors. It'll make your ears ring through muffs AND plugs.

That looks Trentonish to me too but I'm far from an expert, heck I'm not even good at eyeball IDing anvils.

Frosty The Lucky.

ok thank you for the help. I looked for any names but couldnt find it. I couldnt get a good look though becuase we were in a hurry. Maybe today I can go get some more details.

Also, are the German Trentons or American Trentons bettter as far as quality and performance goes? Or are they equally good? Thanks