I Forge Iron

Hello from SE Michigan

Bayshore Forge

Just wanted to say hello to everyone on here from Michigan.

I just joined yesterday after creeping as a guest for awhile to obtain information. A little about me: I'm 20 and a Mathematics Major in college. I picked up blacksmithing this past summer because I thought it sounded fun and built my own forge (not a good design but it works), and bought cheap vise and ASO from harbor freight to get me started. Here are some pics of my set up, and some of my better (in my opinion) pieces. As of last weekend I now have a real anvil - Old 180lb Trenton (from Europe I think) but I have not got a chance to get it home yet, much less use it. For now it sits in my living room at college. I also acquired an old buffalo forge hand crank blower, but could not get it to put out enough air to get my current forge to run hot enough to do anything but make nails. I think Ill have to redesign the forge as I have been using a shopvac.

Thank you for looking, let me know what you think about any or all of this!

Brent

Birdbath stand and garden ornament.JPG

Christmas break set up.JPG

Coke can holder.JPG

Hand crank blower.JPG

Leaf corkscrew.JPG

Wine Bottle holder.JPG

IFI anvil pic.JPG

A college living room is a near perfect home for 20 year old guy's anvil. I used to keep the Chevy 327 I was rebuilding for my '67 pickup laid out neatly on a tarp in the living room of my apartment.

Those are pretty nice pieces especially for a beginner. Have any pics of how the forge is put together, that hand crank blower is more than enough air to melt truck axles. Your forge itself needs some tweaking.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas, 

the bottom is not very uniform looking at all, so to me it is very hard to tell if it has an hourglass depression, but I would go with no. It has a square hole on the bottom, and one on each side as well. No square hole on front foot like seen on some Peter Wrights. I'll post more pics later today. 

Frosty,

thank you! I'll post a few more pics of the forge later today as well. It's basically 2inch iron pipe screwed together with firebrick used as a wedge to keep heat off the grill material itself. When I made it I unfortunately did not (and still do not) know much about what a successful forge  needs to have. with the shop vac and anthracite nut coal from Tractor Supply it gets really really hot (hot enough to burn any stock I've put in it), but with the hand crank blower it didn't seem to get very hot at all. I suspect maybe both the forge and coal are to blame. 

Brent 

Sorry but what is IIRC? Here are more pictures. There's an hourglass shaped color difference, like maybe at one time it was there and has rusted full or been shaved down? The anvil was COATED with deep rust when I got it and haven't been able to do more than use $2 wire brushes from harbor freight because all my tools are at home in Northern Michigan while I'm at college. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

A college living room is a near perfect home for 20 year old guy's anvil. I used to keep the Chevy 327 I was rebuilding for my '67 pickup laid out neatly on a tarp in the living room of my apartment.

Those are pretty nice pieces especially for a beginner. Have any pics of how the forge is put together, that hand crank blower is more than enough air to melt truck axles. Your forge itself needs some tweaking.

Frosty The Lucky.

Unfortunately these are the only pics I have of the forge. In the one pic you can see the 5 holes I drilled in the 2inch pipe, there are the only exits for air. I also included a sketch of the forge to the best of my ability. 

Im thinking I either need more holes or holes closer together for the hand crank blower. What do you think? 

Brent 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

I made a lot of friends in college because I was one of the few who thought to bring tools along with them, especially power tools. They became especially useful once we started to do our architectural projects and needed to do models and sections. If I'd been more into smithing at that time, I could easily have seen me with an anvil and forge in my room. I did have a small bandsaw, table saw, stationary belt sander stored under my bed besides all my small tools like drills, circular saw, hand tools etc.

Hence why you need 2 of many things. I wouldn't have forged directly in my room. I'd have done it out on the balcony of the apartment, or maybe some where else on campus, say the architecture studio.... They did get a bit cranky about the foot of wood shavings in the hallway of the design studio when we were running my 12" planer there ( We did clean up when finished), but then don't tell me I have to work in the studio in class. Same applied when I was welding and brazing stuff for one of my models. If you are not going to give me any option but to work in the studio space during class, then you need to deal with the stuff I bring in to work with.

Yes you need MUCH bigger holes, try a 3/8" bit on those to start!  Especially for a handcrank; powered air might be able to overcome the limitation some. Hand powered air not so much.

I too was the guy they fun of at college for bringing an electric drill and other tools with me; but every person on my floor borrowed it at least once that year.

Patrick; want to describe your set up in college?

Thank you Thomas!

Do you think just enlarge those holes or group them together more also? All the forges I see have a "cluster" of holes instead of a linear pattern as I made. Is this a flaw in itself? I also am a little confused about clinker..I get tons with the shop vac if I leave it blowing constantly but not much if I turn it on and off a lot. Why is this? Should air flow be constant or intermittent for a forge? Sorry for not knowing this if it's simple. 

I'd start with bigger.  The goal is "whatever works" for your system.    Clinker buildup is a function of fuel use and scale creation; both go up with more air.

Should the air flow be constant or intermittent in a forge? YES!  (depends on many factors)  eg. If you are working 1" stock or welding up large pieces, constant may be a big help. Small work may be best with intermittent so you don't burn it up.

Supposed to hit 50 degF today; of course with the blinding sun it feels warmer...I got one of my degrees from OSU so just had to rag on the folks in the state that must not be named...

30 minutes ago, HEAP of JEEP said:

Greetings from Northern Michigan.  I'm still to much of a newb myself to offer any helpful advice , but had say hi to fellow Michigander.

Heap where in northern Michigan? My "set up" is near Suttons Bay, but I go to college down in Ypsilanti. Therefore I put greetings from SE Michigan. 

30 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'd start with bigger.  The goal is "whatever works" for your system.    Clinker buildup is a function of fuel use and scale creation; both go up with more air.

Should the air flow be constant or intermittent in a forge? YES!  (depends on many factors)  eg. If you are working 1" stock or welding up large pieces, constant may be a big help. Small work may be best with intermittent so you don't burn it up.

Supposed to hit 50 degF today; of course with the blinding sun it feels warmer...I got one of my degrees from OSU so just had to rag on the folks in the state that must not be named...

Thank you very much for your time and thoughts Thomas, means a lot to me.

Brent 

1 hour ago, Bayshore Forge said:

Heap where in northern Michigan? My "set up" is near Suttons Bay, but I go to college down in Ypsilanti. Therefore I put greetings from SE Michigan. 

Thank you very much for your time and thoughts Thomas, means a lot to me.

Brent 

I work in Traverse City, but live in a little berg called Kingsley, about 20 miles south of T.C.

Greetings Brent,

Lots of great smiths in your area.. Log on to our Michign group web sight where you will find the next demos and meetings are just a few miles from you.. I live in Cadillac and Lake City and if I can help you just let me know..  Michiganblacksmith.org

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hey Brent

I am also new to the site and from SE MI

Take Jim Coke's advice and check out  the MI Blacksmiths web site

I recently joined the group and attended last months meeting and demonstration

Great group of people, lots of food, raffle for blacksmith related items and very informative demonstration

Mike