I Forge Iron

Forging and uses for 6150 alloy

Frozenforge

I have been collecting from my work various Cessna fixed landing gear springs that have been scrapped due to damage beyond acceptable limits (dings, scratches or corrosion). I know from the tech specifications it is 6150 alloy.

The biggest problem is that it is all tubular (from 5/8" to 1/4" wall thickness) and usually tapered to minimize weight which will make cutting and shaping it into usable pieces difficult.

What I dont know is how much more difficult the Vanadium will make it to forge and will the added "toughness" help this medium carbon steel  be suitable for punches or drifts and could it be chisel material? 

The inside diameter is constant. With the outside tapering down as you get closer to the wheel. These both have a 1" i.d. 

I have seen what punishment these will take from accidents and these will flex 30 to 40 degrees before taking a bend and don't fracture till about a 90 degree bend.

Small slices cut for small cupping tools. A slightly larger slice for upsetting 3/4R stock into 1" R. I can almost picture needing 1" monkey tools but not quite seeing needing them. Work them down like you would pipe for some 3/4" ones or smaller. OHHHHHHHHHHH the main trunk for a tree lamp, run the wire up the center............ Lot of potential uses .... Too bad Alaska would make the shipping not so fun, or I'd offer to buy some off you. Small slice deformed into a spoon swage. Ok I need to stop thinking of this for now and go to bed.

Cut lengthwise, weld onto appropriate pieces make top and bottom swages and fullers. That reminds me I want to make a 3" set of fullers. Ok now maybe I can go to sleep ..........

Grrrrr neck down make other size swages, before cutting lengthwise, same for monkey tools.

Pss Good night.

Edited by Rashelle
more ideas

Auto and truck springs are generally 5160. 6150 works similar to the 5160. It makes good knives, punches chisels, etc.  Trying to cut those dimensions and then flatten is going to be a bear.  It would probably be best to cut them in half lengthwise then flatten.  For the amount of work required it is probably not worth the effort.