I Forge Iron

Ax & Tomahawk Clases/School

Looking for classes on Axes and/or Tomahawk making, I am located in the Midwest, not a whole lot of classes available, so I know I'll have to do some traveling. Have been in contact with Steve Ash about classes, indicated  he may have one in the fall at New England School of metals.. Also saw that John C Campbell folk school, has a weekend class, have taken some classes there on the weekend classes, I prefer something longer in time, Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, BOB T said:

Just found that Peters Valley School has an ax class ,has anyone been there and could give some  information on the School`s Blacksmithing classes ??? James Austin is the teacher...Thinking of taking the class???thanks

Not sure about Peters Valley's classes although I've had a lot of students who've taken their classes before mine. I'm adding an axe class to my schedule but not until March 2016.

J

Hey Bob, I've taken Ryan Johnson's Tomahawk and Ax forging class at Campbell, it's great! But if you're looking for something longer, I'd suggest Elmer Roush's Viking Era Blacksmithing in March. It's a week long and he focuses on that era of forging, and some great axes are forged that week. I'm sad that I can't make that class, but it's the one I've been wanting to hit for two years now. 

Hi Gerald... Thanks on the feedback on your class, looks good but looking just for ax class, watch your video on YouTube for making axes plus hammers blow, very nice work.. If things work out for me time wise?? Very interested in doing James Austin ax class at Peters Valley.. Maybe see you there???

Benton:  I got the last opening in the class.. Inquired by e-mail a few questions about the ax making class, answered my questions and said there was only one opening left, so I jumped on it... Looking forward to the challenge, should be an excellent learning experience.

Forgot to add... I purchased his(James Austin)  CD on "Forging a Viking- Age Broad Ax" a few months back.. Well worth the money if you're interested in forging this type of ax.. I Recommended