I Forge Iron

Goals for Mid-2016

Like most small towns, they have many farmers markets here, and I thought that it would be a good deadline for next spring/summer to have some things made for a market and just test the fields to see how much demand for things of a blacksmiths nature are wanted/desired. I would like to throw some of my own ideas, but welcome tips for people who also live in smaller communities/villages/towns in the middle of nowhere who have had things that sell that I could try to make.

If you have suggestions on what sells well and is not really difficult to make for a beginner/mid-level blacksmith, go ahead and put them in here, and if you have examples include pictures. People love pictures :)

So I had a list of things that I would like to make, and I have since adjusted from what I had made up 2 weeks ago HAH!

• 3 Sets of BBQ Tools (Spatula, Pig Tail Meat Flipper, Fork)
  • 1 Set of Fire Place Tools (Log Grabber, Poker with point and back-hook, Shovel, Pan, Stand)
  • 3 Wall Mountable Bottle Openers (Maybe even on Wood, haven't decided yet)
  • a dozen or so hand held Bottle Openers
  • a set of 6 candle holders for a back yard with glass candle holders.
  • 4 driveway markers (for snow season)
  • 2-4 Herb Cutters

Many of the ideas I have seen videos on youtube of people making them, so I am confident that I have a good frame of reference for getting the hang of them. I know the first few (probably like 3 or more) will be "works of art" HAHA but I am going to start this when it gets a little warmer here. It's now -10C and I don't know if I can actually learn this stuff in the cold. If I knew exactly what I was doing maybe I could work in the cold weather cause I would know how to hold and hit the metal... but, I think it'll just get too cold too fast for me to do much and I'd end up spending too much time heating the stupid metal to work with :(

So, to be prepared, this is my list, add to it if you wish :) When it comes to market time, I will get pictures and post results :D

Long handled shoe horns. Must have for boot country.

Garden tools.

Garden "furniture" trellis, plant hangers, stands, etc. Stakes to mark rows with loop for string, etc. Beer holders.

Barn hardware: wall hooks, singles and doubles to hand tools, drive & S hooks long enough to safely hang a lantern from, Gate hardware, handles, latches, hinges, etc. Drawer and cupboard pulls, hinges, etc.

Ranchers will need tack room hardware with saddle racks, bridle and halter hooks, shelf hardware for all the stuff that needs shelves.

Oh yeah! Boot scrapers! Gotta have boot scrapers and boot jacks in boot company.

Address bracket to hang from the custom wrought mailbox stands you make. Driveway markers so folk know where their driveway is IN their yard as well as the entry. Stands for solar walkway and driveway lights.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wine racks and cork screws.

Horse shoe "art" if you have a lot of horse people around. They are always interested in buying things made from new or old shoes, Tack racks, horse shoe hearts, bottle openers, hoof picks ...

The good old fashioned "S" hook. A good warm up exercise that can be done in an endless variety of variations. I often find them useful also for hanging up other items in the booth to get them up off the table and in the line of sight of others at a distance. I'll often sell the hooks if not the item they are displaying.

Repurposed Railroad spikes, especially of interest to those who love trains.

A few things to think about, when selling in a "Farmers" or a "Flea" Market.

It's pretty much the same crowd every week, and you're selling "durable goods".

( Once you buy a hand-forged "widget", ... you don't need another one next week. )

So you need a constantly growing, changing inventory, of unique merchandise.

Also, ... your typical customer has absolutely NO imagination, ... therefore it's up-to-you to display your goods in such a way that their intended use and utility is plainly evident.

( Just laying things out on a table, is simply NOT good enough. )

And you cannot compete with Walmart, ... so don't try to sell the same kinds of things that can be found there.

You're in the wrong kind of setting for "Big Ticket" items, ... so keep things in the "impulse buying" price range.

( You'll sell a thousand "Leaf Key Fobs" for every set of "Fire Dogs" or "Fireplace Crane". )

People will spend their money more freely, on "recreational" or "hobby" related items, than on the mundane wares of daily life.

It's not my intention to discourage anyone from trying to market their goods.

But 25 years experience in the kinds of Markets you're talking about, has lead me to conclude that the best products, are those that are consumed on-the-spot, ... or carried home, to be used before the next Market Day.

I know that's not what you want to hear, ... but it's how it is.

You are talking Spring/Summer you might want to drop most of the fireplace things as peoples minds are on warm weather, same for drive way markers, keep them in mind for End of Season time. 

You are "selling to the choir" as some one said above it is mostly  the same folks each week, you need something new each week or they will walk by.  

Have a few "show items" so people can see what you can do and cards in case they find a "Need" for something special they might remember you and call. 

A lot of time, & expense in return for a whole lot of talking, some sales and more talking!  Super luck to you, a tough row to hoe.

This goes out to anyone selling any craft, be it knives, jewelry or ironwork. Diversify or die!

The sale of "smalls" such as keychain hooks and bottle openers can lead to sales of "big ticket" items down the road. Use your business card as a price tag attached to every item. Quilt stands, boot stands, herb drying racks, bird feeder hooks, bird baths, picture and mirror frames are planned birthday/anniversary gifts. Whimsical desktop sculpture, paperweights, bookends, cookbook and iPad holders make good spur of the moment gifts anytime. Metal roses and hearts sell well up until Valentines Day, tree ornaments and stocking hangers up until Yule.

Get used to photographing your own work being used in a tasteful setting if possible, build a white box with a selection of interesting backdrops, take a photography course. Keep a picture portfolio on these in a digital flip folder on your table to show your range and versatility. This and a show-stopping centerpiece on your table will make foot traffic pause long enough to engage the customer.

A tall director's chair to sit in, and a couple of floor mats to stand on, and comfortable shoes with insoles, will keep you at eye level to engage your potential clients without your feet getting sore at a weekend show. Nothing worse than someone hunched over in a cheap folding chair at belt buckle level, unless they are also texting non-stop.

If your local market starts getting stale, and you wish to keep going, start looking at what else is available in your region, and beyond. There is a reason that thousands of knifemakers travel thousands of miles to sell at the Blade Show each year. Jewelers and potters have their own equivalent. Our state blacksmith group has a permanent shop at the annual state fair, with members rotating at demos and sales.

Items made out of horse shoes, like was mentioned above. I have seen horse shoe knives getting sold as fast as the blacksmith could make them. And you get 2 knives per shoe.

Items made out of railroad spikes (legally aquired) also seem to sell well. Coat hooks, knives, ax heads, etc.

Fire starters seem to see well too.

One thing I have seen that seems to work well if you have someone helping you, and the market will allow you to, is if you set up your anvil and forge there at the show and make items on the spot. Folks love to watch a blacksmith work and the ringing of the anvil will draw folks in like moths to a flame.

6 hours ago, RDSBandit said:

Items made out of horse shoes, like was mentioned above. I have seen horse shoe knives getting sold as fast as the blacksmith could make them. And you get 2 knives per shoe.

Items made out of railroad spikes (legally aquired) also seem to sell well. Coat hooks, knives, ax heads, etc.

Fire starters seem to see well too.

One thing I have seen that seems to work well if you have someone helping you, and the market will allow you to, is if you set up your anvil and forge there at the show and make items on the spot. Folks love to watch a blacksmith work and the ringing of the anvil will draw folks in like moths to a flame.

If I could setup a forge/anvil there I would. I will have to see if I can make a portable one for this in the future, as yes, I think it would be more hands-on and people can see that I am actually making the product :D