I Forge Iron

is this Peter Wright anvil in good shape? (ebay)

Preface:  I am just starting out as a blacksmith, and I'm collecting tools needed to start the craft.  

I'm wondering if this anvil (on ebay link removed) looks to be in good shape, and is worth the price.  I know that Peter Wright anvils are very good quality, just wondering if a more experienced eye can tell me if this particular anvil is worth it?

Thanks!

Hard to say without examining in person. Also, anvil prices vary widely by geographical region, so without knowing where you are, we don't know if that's a good price for your location. (Hint: you can add your location in your profile settings.) This listing says "Local pick up in Maryland" -- factor in the cost of gas or UPS to get the TRUE cost.

Not to me; but I'm a notorious cheapskate. Over US$3 a pound of course the area is prone to higher prices.  Usually the "must pickup" drives the price *down* substantially as you are cutting out 99% of the possible buyers.  Note that is a "starting bid" and in ebay most of the bids are done electronically during the last seconds so it may go higher!

Welcome aboard JSet, glad to have you. Do a search for the TPAAAT, it's a proven technique for acquiring blacksmithing equipment even has anvil in the name.

Get a ball bearing so you can do a rebound test, simply drop the bearing from a ways, say a foot and eyeball estimate how far it rebounds. The closer to the initial drop height the better, much less than say 65% is pretty poor. I carry a couple 3/8" bearings in my pocket and keep finding them when looking for change.

Work a pattern around the face looking for dead spots and flat sounds these might be areas where the face is delaminating or someone has used it as a table to do torch work on. Expect the rebound to fall off as you move out the heal, this is to be expected, it'll be best over the center of the waist.

Frosty The Lucky.